Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,168   Online: 1007

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can I connect a footswtich directly to my enlarger without a timer?

Hello everyone.

After purchasing a LPL 4550 XLG head from U.S and column & baseboard from China I have slowly built my darkroom, now I have ordered a devere 504 and an ilford 500h head and they are on the way. It will be my primary system since I'm more familiar with it.

As the 4550 manual really didn't say anything about footswitch and timer, I'm writing to ask for some help in using the 4550 system.

In the back of the LPL 4550 XLG 120v transformer, there's a female plug, and a male plug, both marked "timer". Now I have ordered an analyser pro 120v version and it's still on the way. But I really want to see the 4550 working and see if I can master the "pedal + metronome" way of printing. I have found a Fujimoto 125v 3A footswitch, can I plug it directly into the female plug in the transformer, and use it as a mains switch? Can I then begin the "pedal + metronome" printing procedures without breaking anything?

Another tiny problem I found with my 4550 XLG is that the feet on the baseboard aren't even; the enforced steel doesn't touch the table either. Should I have someone adjust it?

Thanks

Jing

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sure, use one of those foot switches they use for lights.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slight View Post
    Another tiny problem I found with my 4550 XLG is that the feet on the baseboard aren't even; the enforced steel doesn't touch the table either. Should I have someone adjust it?
    The steel plate under the column should be clear of the worktop. As for the feet, I'd suggest using some thin pieces of plastic card to shim them until level. Start by packing up under each foot, and once you have found the correct thickness to level things up, you should be able to unscrew the feet and place the packing between baseboard and foot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot for the replies!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'there's a female plug, and a male plug, both marked timer'

The cord from the timer would plug into the female jack.
    You would need an extension cord to plug into the timer, and the other end into the male jack.

To emulate this, you need a foot switch that has BOTH a cord to plug into the wall, and a jack where you would plug a lamp into the foot switch. A foot switch from a hardware store that only has a cord going out to a plug that you would sit between the wall outlet an a lamp won't work, it does not have the right electrical connections.

'I have found a Fujimoto 125v 3A footswitch, can I plug it directly into the female plug in the transformer, and use it as a mains switch? '

From your description, the Fujimoto foot switch will not work. It only plugs into 1 of the 2 plugs on the timer.

Be VERY VERY careful when working with electrical stuff.
    If not wired CORRECTLY, you could have a dangerous situation.
    Last edited by ac12; 04-04-2013 at 01:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found a post by someone who uses an LPL ET-500 enlarging time with LPL 4550 XLG enlarger.

I also found this http://camerashopnbuy.com/et-500-13/

This pedal is used on conjunction with the ET-400 or ET-500...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=130589256041

I would hesitate simply plugging in a pedal with a physically compatible cord into the enlarger...you have no idea what connection voltages are happening in the enlarger connections, etc. to blindly plug in something with no understanding or schematics to view is foolish!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I built a footswitch for this purpose. Slight, I've sent you an email via apug. I think it will go to whatever email service you have your apug messages assigned to.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin