Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,365   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thomas Duplex Safelight...

The Duplex that I sourced for $50 just arrived. I plugged it in and it works, and the doors move up and down fine. The filters don't appear to be in the best shape, and it looks as if they were taken apart at one time and probably replaced with something else.

The hum of the thing isn't so bad. It's a steady, low level hum, and reminds me of something you'd hear from a fridge or chest freezer when the compressor is running.

I'll be looking into replacing the filters, so if anyone has tips if appreciate them. I seem to remember Rosco "Fire" for the red ones, but what about the yellow.

Here's a few pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366055834.423970.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	67297

There's just a little bit of damage here . The left seam doesn't lay flat.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366055890.200252.jpg 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	67298

And here are the filters. The red ones seem to have a green layer on the outside, I would assume someone put there to block some of the light.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366056013.007223.jpg 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	67300

And the iPhone camera does funny things in this light. The wavelength is really visible.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366055924.920267.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	67299

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366056064.071540.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	67301

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those filters are toast. When you take them apart you will likely find they are gell and paper. The rosco fire is close to the OC filter. You should also pick up a sheet of diffusion material as well. If you need red filter for certain papers get a red sheet as well. I think it cost me less than $30 for the bunch and I'm set for life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks George. I'm reading a few threads on a few different forums to find out whether I'm going to try and fix them myself, or buy a replacement set from freestyle.

I've read that the Roscolux Deep Amber for the red filters, but I'm not finding anything for the yellow.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I posted exactly which filters are used in the red, yellow, and black taped filter sets in the I <3 Thomas Duplex thread.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks, going check that one now.

I just read on LFF that the Deep Amber for the yellow filters and the Fire for the red filters were used by others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris,

What you're really trying to do with a low-pressure sodium (LPS) safelight like the Duplex is to remove the residual blue and green light that is emitted as a consequence of the argon and neon intentionally introduced into the tube during manufacturing. These gases assist in the striking of the lamp, and help account for the weird colors you see at initial startup before the sodium color takes over.

It's these not-visible-to-the-eye blue and green spikes that are the source of the Duplex's reputation for fogging paper, not its overall brightness. See here for an example of the output spectra from an LPS tube. (Fourth example down the page.) Note the much dimmer blue and green bands to the left of the predominant yellow. There is also a red band to the right, but that of course does no harm.

The Roscoe #19 Fire gel will transmit about 35% of the sodium yellow, while blocking essentially 100% of the blues and greens. And that 65% reduction in intensity of the yellow is usually welcomed by most people with small darkrooms. Often it's still hard to see the image on the easel even at 35%, so the vanes must still be closed while focusing. This is what I must do. See here for a transmission graph of the Roscoe #19 filter gel.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin