Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,683   Online: 848

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, Mark and David,

Many thanks for your comments.

I don't feel that my standards are going to fall, in fact they may even get higher as I strive to produce prints that look the way I want them to. I think it's the pandering that I don't want to do anymore. A typical example is that where I have areas that are black in reality such as holes or very dense shadows, instead of printing so that they appear to have detail I will print them as I saw them.

I think (hope) that the my standards for my own work is higher than others expect from me and hopefully with plenty of practice I might even reach those standards to some degree. Looking back everything I have printed are work prints as again I also feel I could print them better and more to my tastes than trying to achieve what others like.

Hopefully my prints will improve as I will be targeting myself rather than what others may think of it.

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tony:

I was using "standards" semi-sarcastically. No, I don't think our actual standards will go down by relaxing a bit and printing for ourselves. Hope my meaning was not mis-interpreted.

I shot weddings many moons ago, but now photography is just a hobby. But, it has recently gotten to where it isn't fun because I'm trying too hard! I need to back off, and as I said, just make some pictures.

All things being equal, I think each of us should strive for the best results we can and never stop learning. None-the-less, I was struck by the original post and realized (my own personal epiphany) that I had crossed an unnecessary line in my own work.

Now, I'm going to work this out and someday post to the galleries ...

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

Fear not I didn't take your comments negatively.

I think the original post came at the right time for me as I've had similar thoughts bouncing around my mind recently, must be the dark winter nights that does it. Also the outage last night was useful as I spent the time over on the magnum site. I think the 2 things tie in together as the work I was looking at seemed much more natural and alive than many of my shots have been recently.

Still ... as HCB said "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst" ... Over the years I must be getting close to that by now

I'm going to have to do some thinking about my photography as well and relax more, the Blind Print Exchange could be my first test of the personal philosophy I arrive at.

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    I've been thinking about this thread and have decided that from now on all prints I make will be purely for my own liking and not with a view to achieving the best technical print I can produce. If others don't like the results ... tough! Also I will no longer comment on pictures in the gallery about how I feel their technical merits can be improved.
    Bravo!!!

EXACTLY my philosophy - and modus operandi.

To tell the truth, I think my growth was totally arrested until I came upon that "place".

Man!! - It is GOOD to know that you are NOT alone!!!

BTW ... I LOVE that quote at the end. I'm going to print it out and hang it in my darkroom.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jorde
    Still, many of those prints are hanging on various walls where no recent images are. All I have of recent work is "work prints", because my standards are "higher" and I know I can get better results. I need to relax and make some pictures. :rolleyes:
    Part of this little idea was that I looked at what photos I Have purchased over the year. They are all people/historical.journalistic type imaged that rummaged up in antique stores. Never have I bought a fine art print off of someone. Plenty are fairly far off from being perfect, and I'm certain that one of my favorites is just a work print since it has quick a large number of dust specs and imperfections on it.

Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin