Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,134   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sink...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen some nice darkrooms, but most darkrooms I've seen don't have a bathroom like yours does, much less a washer and dryer.

Will the sink be used to hold water or just manage water that comes out of the trays (i.e. will there be a plug used in the drain)? I'll assume the later. Also, when you look at sizing the sink, keep in mind you need to make sure you can prevent splashing stop bath into developer.

Given that the base of the sink will be well supported, here's an option: build a sink using 2x4 (or even 5/4x4) cedar and 1/4" cedar plywood. 2x4 cedar for the front and back, plywood for the bottom and ends. Paint the inside with epoxy paint, or even just use spar varnish and silicone caulk the seams. Cedar will cut the weight significantly, though at greater cost. For drainage, simply put a 1x1" piece of wood underneath the end furthest from the drain.

Alternatively, look at the plastic containers used for underbed storage. They may be large enough, at least for 8x10 trays. Consider 6" high divider between developer and stop bath trays. That divider could be anything from 1/4" plywood to varnished cardboard.
    Last edited by mgb74; 04-09-2013 at 07:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    How will the sink be supported? Will the sink be used to hold water or just manage water that comes out of the trays (i.e. will there be a plug used in the drain)?

My thought is to just manage water. The trays and/or print washer will be set inside and the "sink" will have a drain hose that either goes into the washer drain, or the bathroom sink between the toilet and washer. Water will come either from the washer connection, or from the sink faucet attachment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you looked at the underbed storage containers?

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...10025747&N=175
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made a partial sink.
    It was a sink w 3 sides, and 2 hinged legs. 1/2 plywood bottom and 1x4 sides.
    It sat over the toilet, and the 2 legs would be next to the wall, the open end of the sink rested on the edge of the sink counter.
    When I was done printing, the legs folded up, and I rested it against the wall.
    I painted it with epoxy paint.
    The only thing is because it isn't a real sink, I could not put water in it. It was just to catch the dripping when I used the trays. Although I could have closed the 4th side and put in a drain with a tube to a bucket, and that would make it into a sink.

Using the plastic tubs would be a problem. When you move it, there is a good likelihood of the seams breaking.
    Unless you put it onto something rigid like a sheet of 1/2 plywood, which would minimize the stress on the seams.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Do what I did, made a tray stacker. the trays above each other. You could use kitty litter trays for a water bath for the chemical trays. I made one 2 trays high, the third sitting on the base. It was 16x 20 for trays and extended back on slope so you could access the lower trays. Dev on top, stop under the fix. I used the sink to wash the prints under neath the tray stacker. To make you cut the bases all the same 3 @ 18 x 22. then you make 4 uprights say 4 x 18 these are screwed to the sides of the bases. You stagger the bases/shelves back say 4 -8 inches back to give you access to each tray. Maybe some rubber feet to protect the surface. I place mine on the laundry sink. The shelf height depends on the depth of your trays. you don't need to watch the stop and fix as much as the dev. You could place on the washer. hope this helps, I cut mine up when I built my 10 x 20 darkroom, if you wish I can draw something and scan and send?
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mgb74 had what i thought was a good idea... also, the way i built the sink, i used the plumbing from the washer for the my sink... I attached a y adapter to split the water that was going into the washer into a second hose...

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58248-Ga.../dp/B000YDVRH8

when i'm in the darkroom, the open up the water to the darkroom hose , and then in the darkroom sink i have the same y adapter, so that i can turn the water on and off to the sink, these are just attached to 1/2 inch pond tubing so that i can have a 'movable/directional' spout. i would have both y adapters so that i can regulate flow easily...

with this in mind, i don't know if you need a darkroom sink, or just a container which you could place over your sink, with a hole drilled to it, so that it drains into the sink. then just clamp down the the hose onto the side of the container while doing darkroom work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have the space for a permament sink, it isn't too difficult to make one. Mine is 18mm ply initially glued and screwed together. The glue I used was one of the high-performance glues that are used from a mastik gun and dry like very tough silicon. Waterproof. I screwed at 100mm intervals all round. Then I used a 2-pack yacht epoxy. Not cheap, but seems to be absolutely fine 1+ year on. I used a standard sink drain unit and recessed the top slightly to avoid a "step" and make sure it totally drained every time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could use acrylic glass for your sink: easily moldable with a hot air gun, lighweight, chemical-resistant, can be glued, drilling and sawing is no problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Christopher,

If the reason you are trying to build a sink is to help washing prints, I would like to suggest finding a used print washer. I am also in the situation where I can't have a proper sink, but that has not been an issue for me. In my case, I built a nice print washer, because a shop I used to work for gave me a bunch of Lexan sheets they were throwing away. From what I've seen, a used print washer is usually very close in price to the cost of new materials. My washer handles 11x14 and 8x10. On the grand occasion when I print 16x20 or 20x24, I use a tray with an old Kodak siphon. The tray sits on the washing machine with the siphon hanging over the laundry room sink.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Sink...

Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post

with this in mind, i don't know if you need a darkroom sink, or just a container which you could place over your sink, with a hole drilled to it, so that it drains into the sink. then just clamp down the the hose onto the side of the container while doing darkroom work.

I'm wanting something to put the trays in and also something that I can run a print washer in. I have one if those print washers that has the sprinkler looking pipe running across it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin