Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,941   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Sink...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Sink...

I'm lacking a formal darkroom sink, and it really inhibits my ability to wash my prints.

So today I started thinking about how I can build something that is lightweight, water tight, and has a drain hose that I can place in the existing sink. I need something long enough to hold three processing trays and a print washer.

So I thought about forming a fiberglass sink myself, but that would be too heavy to set up and take down each time I wanted to work. (I have to tear down because I use the laundry room.)

And then I thought about those big Sterilight bins. The cheap ones from the dollar store or Walmart? I thought that perhaps I could cut the ends off of three of them and glue them together somehow and then silicone the seams so that its water tight. Or even two of those long, shallow ones that fit under your bed.

Any ideas on what to use, or how to get this done? I'm thinking superglue and tub/tile caulk.

Here is a crude diagram of my idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365545627.877931.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	67021

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Home Depot has plastic concrete-mixing tubs, 10 and 20 gallons, about 8 inches deep, around $5 and $13. Look under concrete, then tools. If you use these or the sterlite, you could probably string some together with tubes and some kind of fitting to make them watertight without worrying about big seams. Make the outlet lower than the inlet so water flows through.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 04-09-2013 at 05:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i just use a wood sink i built and coated with rust-o-leum... i put a 2x4 on one side and drain it into a bucket (this has a pond pump-which drains into the laundry drain which was to high, for gravity to do its thing)... anyway... i thought of doing your idea, but the plastic bins i saw were not wide enough, and i didn't think of solution... my concern is that, the seams will spring a leak... even with silicone...

maybe if you use pvc glue and silicone (as a precaution) i think it will work... definitely with the pvc glue, that thing is incredible.

Are you sure a wooden sink won't work... that you could just stand on it's side (longways) and just take up minimal amounts of space. the benefits of this, is that you get to make it the perfect size.

what size are the trays?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made my darkroom sink out of wood and coated with resin. I've been using it for decades. There are some darkroom sinks available from folks getting rid of their darkrooms also. Try Ebay or Craig's list.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Christopher:

WIthout knowing the largest print you intend to make on a regular basis, It's hard to say what the best choice would be.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post

Are you sure a wooden sink won't work... that you could just stand on it's side (longways) and just take up minimal amounts of space. the benefits of this, is that you get to make it the perfect size.

what size are the trays?

8x10 and 11x14.

I thought about a wooden something or another coated with resin, but figured it would be too heavy for temporary setups that have to come down each time I'm through printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I made my darkroom sink out of wood and coated with resin. I've been using it for decades. There are some darkroom sinks available from folks getting rid of their darkrooms also. Try Ebay or Craig's list.

I've found some, but again most are too big for temporary set ups. I need minimal investment, lightest weight, and easy setup/tear down.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    half inch plywood edges sealed with fibreglas resin and painted isn't too heavy. Can you hinge it to the wall and fold it up?
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Sink...

Quote Originally Posted by JOSarff View Post
    half inch plywood edges sealed with fibreglas resin and painted isn't too heavy. Can you hinge it to the wall and fold it up?
    hmmm... Didn't think about hingeing it to a wall. It would have to go above a toilet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY Sink...

This was my idea since I already have these. That's an 11x14 tray in the first one.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365551095.558587.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	67022

And this is my darkroom. It's about 10x6 now that I'm looking at it. I set the enlargers up on the dryer, and my three trays on the washer. Then wash in my itty bitty sink using soak and change methods.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365551226.132652.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	67023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365551235.620702.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	67024

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin