Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,305   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY 8x10 floating lids

I did some searching and couldn't find anything on APUG, LFF or even Google. I know it's been talked about so maybe I have to work on my research skills.

I'd like to make some 8x10 floating lids and can't seem to figure it out. I can't find lids for sale (without the tanks anyway). I only NEED one for my developer because I'm getting sick of spending $5 on replenishing every time I run film through every 2-4 weeks. But for a DIY project, I'm sure I can make 3 for next to nothing. Some thoughts? Experience?

As always, thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    now this brings back memories of when I first started working professionally in darkrooms in the early 80's - which is the last time I used deep tanks!

We had a couple of DIY solutions to prevent oxidisation. The simplest one was to use a lid on the tank, as this stopped most of the problem - a print tray turned upside down worked for us..

As for a floating lid I use a sheet of "plastic foam" - sorry I can't recall the acual name of the foam, but it's white, very light and rigid - it's often used in packing of electronics products etc. It's cemically inert, and floats. You cut it with a craft knife. I seem to think we made acouple of small holes in it, threaded a piece of thin plastic rope through the holes and tied knots on the underside to give us handles..

They seemed to work very well, and if one ever needed replaceing it was only a 2 minute job to make another one..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think its called fluted board. How hard is it to pour back into a bottle..

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    How hard is it to pour back into a bottle..
    +1
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trade name I know this by is cor-flute. Like corrugated cardboard, but made from plastic.

I find it at the art supply store, stocked near where they stock matt board and mount board panels.

Edge sealing the open hopes with some applied and then smeared in silicone would seem to solve the problem of oxidized solution collecting in the corrugations.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No experience, but would wood coated with something like Plastic Dip work?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    I think its called fluted board. How hard is it to pour back into a bottle..
    They're 8x10 deep tanks. About 14 litres of fluid. So, to answer your question -hard enough. I've worked in a pro lab that used floating lids and the developer spoiled just as quick as it would being in 4 different jugs. I'd like to get those results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY 8x10 floating lids

Sorry but by the sound of you first question you had a 8x10 tray with a litre or so.
    What about plastic cling wrap and then put the fluted board on that , should seal pretty good

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    What about a simple styrofoam plate cut to size?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check with the electronics guy across the street and see if he has any really dense sheets of styrofoam. I didn't think it was chemically inert, so I didn't think of it. I currently have a top lid and use plastic wrap, but there's a good 2 inches of air and it hasn't been working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin