Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,608   Online: 1020

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use glass or the original plastic with a blast of Bloxygen (Argon gas) before sealing. I've kept DD-X, Sprint Film Developer, Perceptol and even Studionol (R09 Spezial) after opening with no problems of spoilage. Months of use from a bottle of R09 Spezial. The first can of Bloxygen paid for itself several times over by allowing a single bottle of DD-X to last and last.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you cannot get glass containers of EXACTLY the right size, then get the nearest larger size and fill the bottle with glass beads to bring the fluid level up to the top of the bottle. It does work, I've been doing it for years.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    Yes but I have no use for the Agfa developer they contain, so when they break (they are soft plastic) I will have to re-buy the Agfa developer and re-toss it...
    If they break they would be no good alternative for your storage either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This might take this discussion in another direction, but back in the late 70s there was a product (called Prolong?) that was sold in camera stores. It was in a spray can of nitrogen or nitrogen mixture of some sort, with a horizontal nozzle that could be directed into the developer bottle. Because nitrogen was heavier than the air in the bottle, it would displace the oxygen at the surface of the developer, keeping it from oxidizing. It worked really well, but I haven't seen it in years. I know you can buy liquid nitrogen now, and a spray bottle, but I think they're rather pricy, and I don't know if it would work.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nitrogen is practically not heavier than air, it is air, basically. Nitrogen is hard to compress.
    What you refer to was most probabably a CFC, which are easy to compress, but got banned due to effect on the ozone layer. They had been surpassed in photography by butane. And now the new alternative to the late CFCs has been discussed in another thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, nitrogen is the main gas in our air, but I still remember the can saying something about nitrogen on it. It was probably a mix of gasses that replaced the oxygen in the bottle. I do know that quite a few labs used nitrogen injected into their chemical tanks as a preservative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the refrigeration trade I get "B" size tanks of nitrogen gas. According to the MSDS it's 99% pure and I know it has no water vapor in it. You buy the tank and trade it in when it's empty. Lasts forever but pricey to start. Refills are cheap.

I use 250ml amber glass bottles and divide my developer between them. When developing I might use anything from 50ml to half of it depending on the developer. I flood the left over with nitrogen. The bottles are available from Photographers Formulary. B&H carries the Formulary bottles but I'm not sure which ones without looking.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bloxygen is cheap, and Argon is heavier than air.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    If you cannot get glass containers of EXACTLY the right size, then get the nearest larger size and fill the bottle with glass beads to bring the fluid level up to the top of the bottle. It does work, I've been doing it for years.
    Yes, I tried that, but they are a problem when you try to pour the developer into the tank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by agnosticnikon View Post
    I do know that quite a few labs used nitrogen injected into their chemical tanks as a preservative.
    Perhaps you are thinking of gas-burst agitation, which was used for stirring up the tanks when I worked with dip-and-dunk processing machines for C41 and E6. Nitrogen itself won't prevent oidation unless you completely replace the air (which is +/- 80% nitrogen anyway) in an impervious chemical container - in practice, that would be awkward to do reliably and consistently.

The heavier-than-air-gas preservative products work by forming a gaseous "lid" over the liquid chemical.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin