Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 906

Thread: This is a...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This is a...?

ROWI Test (so it says)
    From Germany. (It also says this)

I can see that it has several different gradients from clear to black, but what does it do?
    Or, rather, what do I do with it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROWI-Test.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	67113

I found it in an envelope which also contained a Kodak Projection Print scale.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Enlarger focusing target.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Enlarger focusing target.
    Is it used at the negative stage then? I thought it was perhaps for calibrating some sort of exposure meter at the paper/easel stage. I suppose I would find this helpful in focusing 4x5 negatives with less obvious grain.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.

Its designation is: Test-Einstell Negativ

a strip of perf. 35mm film bearing that image

ROWI was the brand name of a popular german supplier of photo accessories. It was the competitor to Kaiser, who still exist.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-11-2013 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    I think it was popular up to '70 when grain focusers took main stage on that front. Yes, you put it instead of regular negative, focus and then replace it with regular one. Maybe they will be still useful for mural projections without extremely long arms. But I will be afraid to move negative carrier after precise focusing. Have one similar of SSSR origin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might be useful for checking enlarger alignment.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin