Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,456   Online: 894

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Without trying to be argumentative or tell someone they are wrong, there is a big advantage to getting the proper bottles.

Accidents can & do happen. That is why they are called accidents. Any reasonable steps to prevent accidents is prudent. Even though you may not need brown in the bottle to protect the ingredients, it does kind of warn people there is something different, unless it is in the shape and color of a familiar drink, like beer.

It is just cheap insurance to get bottles that look like chemical bottles. JMHO
    I take your point, but would say plastic is a safer material than glass, as it is more likely to bounce than smash.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I take your point, but would say plastic is a safer material than glass, as it is more likely to bounce than smash.
    Plastic can break although a lot less likely. I have not dropped a bottle of anything or broke a bottle from an accident in 50 years. Just lucky I guess.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to your local brewers supplies store. i got a box of 24 1ltr plastic bottles for £10.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you can find a laboratory supplier online, or someone with access to one, brown glass bottles (known as 'Winchesters', at least in the UK) are surprisingly cheap and last a lifetime, as someone already said. You are more likely to break your foot than the bottle if you drop one. I replace airseals in the lids every time I put new chemicals in - I cut these from the silvered plastic tabs used to seal milk containers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Plastic can break although a lot less likely. I have not dropped a bottle of anything or broke a bottle from an accident in 50 years. Just lucky I guess.
    I have never dropped a bottle, glass or plastic, full or empty in the darkroom. I have however started developing film with PhotoFlo.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those plastic brown 32oz Hydrogen Peroxide bottles have served me well. The bottles with Hydrogen Peroxide may cost less than the same style bottle at a photo supplier. For 1 gallon size plastic bottles I have used empty windshield washer fluid bottles. The wall thickness of those bottles (jugs) is extra thick.

I would not recommend the 1 gallon plastic milk jugs. The jugs I tried are very thin-walled. I had one develop a pinhole. I found a big mess days later.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Storing toxic chemicals in soda or juice bottles or any other food container is NOT a good idea.

Small children finding them easily could be poisoned. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to explain how it happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always heard that Boston Rounds were popular for storing photo chemicals. I use an assortment of lab bottles and square Fiji water bottles, well-marked of course.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have however started developing film with PhotoFlo.
    I prefer starting with fixer myself.n
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin