Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,169   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

darkroom chemistry bottle solutions

hi

i am trying to figure out what i can store chemistry in.
    like say d76 or other chemicals like fixer.

can i use soda bottles or juice bottles to store the chemistry in?
    i believe they are pete bottles.

any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PETE or glass has the lowest oxygen permeability. With glass being best. It is really most important with developer.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a "1" in the recycle triangle symbol or the letters PETE just under it .
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brown glass pharmacy bottles can't be beat. I've been using the same ones for almost forty years. Check with your pharmacist he may give you some. That's how I got mine and they have calibrating lines to boot.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Brown glass pharmacy bottles can't be beat. I've been using the same ones for almost forty years. Check with your pharmacist he may give you some. That's how I got mine and they have calibrating lines to boot.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Several years ago I tried several pharmacy's and they all said everything now comes in plastic.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Several threads on APUG address this issue. The take-home message was that there's no need for brown glass unless you store your developer in direct sunlight. Mine's in the dark closet that I call my darkroom. D76 gets stored in one-liter mason jars.One-shot developers like HC110 completely avoid the storage problem because the unmixed syrup lasts a really long time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have always used plastic soda bottles that you can squeeze to minimise air and empty wine boxes with bags. Just remove the tap with a flat bladed knife, wash it out and re-use. You even get a spring loaded tap and if you reverse the box inside out and label as such, you wont drink it by mistake.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The danger of reusing bottles that contained food or drink is that someone might mistake the contents for food or drink.

PE has strongly argued this point in many threads over the years and I agree with him.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The danger of reusing bottles that contained food or drink is that someone might mistake the contents for food or drink.

PE has strongly argued this point in many threads over the years and I agree with him.
    You remove the label, relabel with the chemical they contain and don't keep them in your domestic fridge. No problem.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    You remove the label, relabel with the chemical they contain and don't keep them in your domestic fridge. No problem.

Without trying to be argumentative or tell someone they are wrong, there is a big advantage to getting the proper bottles.

Accidents can & do happen. That is why they are called accidents. Any reasonable steps to prevent accidents is prudent. Even though you may not need brown in the bottle to protect the ingredients, it does kind of warn people there is something different, unless it is in the shape and color of a familiar drink, like beer.

It is just cheap insurance to get bottles that look like chemical bottles. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin