Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,462   Posts: 1,570,645   Online: 826

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Lens for enlarger

I hope I can explain myself correctly but this is my problem. I have a 5X4 enlarger and I want to get the maximum size print possible from it but my problem is that my darkroom is in a low roofed room. With the enlarger head at it's maximum hight will I get a larger print from a 135mm lens or should I opt for a 150mm lens. Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any help that may be out there, Paul.
    A painter interprets an image, a film photographer captures an image and a digital photographer creates an image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First, are you dealing with 35mm film?
    Second, if you want more enlargement than one gets with a 50mm lens for 35mm film, you need a shorter focal length, not a longer one.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    First, are you dealing with 35mm film?
    Second, if you want more enlargement than one gets with a 50mm lens for 35mm film, you need a shorter focal length, not a longer one.
    He's talking LF 5"x4"

A 135mm is a nexcellent choice, I've made large prints with Compono/Componn S lenses with no issues, They are designed for the format.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, thanks for replying, I'm starting to enlarge 4x5 negs and hence the large lens required.
    A painter interprets an image, a film photographer captures an image and a digital photographer creates an image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply, you're using a 135mm lens which is working for you but if you switched to 150 would it make much of a difference to the size print if the enlarger head was at the same height.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgallinule View Post
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply, you're using a 135mm lens which is working for you but if you switched to 150 would it make much of a difference to the size print if the enlarger head was at the same height.

Yes a 135mm will give a significantly smaller enlargement at the same height, in a small dark-room with height limitations it's much better to use a 135mm. I do use a 160mm as well but I'm using a 10x8 enlarger with a drop bed and no height restrictions. I;ve used a 135mm Componon, now a Componon S since 1976 always with great results.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can you rotate the head and project on to a wall ?

Failing that, I'd suggest rotating the column and project on to the floor - The disadvantage with both of these methods is reaching the focus controls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    as explained above 135mm will make a larger print than 150mm for the same column height, but I wonder if there's any 'wide angle' designs like the 60mm that covers 6x6, or 40mm that covers 35mm, etc that might assist someone with a low roofed room??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am limited in head space for my enlarger, so I opted for the 135, which gives slightly larger enlargments than the 150mm.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    135 will give bigger prints than 150 for a given height. I don't know of any shorter enlarger lenses for 4x5; you could use a good 90mm objective lens (e.g. Grandagon-N or Super Angulon) in a pinch though the quality is likely to be poorer than a proper enlarger lens with flat field.

Anyway, how low is your ceiling? I can get 16x20" prints from my 135mm lens while using only about half of my enlarger's column; it's a desktop DeVere 504 and not unusually tall. My suspicion is that you will run out of easel before you run out of ceiling clearance with a 135.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin