Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Using higher wattage bulb in enlarger

I have an LPL / Omega 4550XLG that takes 200W/82V lamps with the little pin connectors. My local photo store has a box of various projection lamps for $1. Unfortunately none of them fit my unit but they do have a handful of the 250W/82V versions.

Can I use the higher wattage bulbs? Or is this a bad idea?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually wait, nevermind... According to Freestyle the 250W is the correct one for this enlarger. Hell, for $1 I'll just but them I guess and check it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you use a higher wattage bulb than specified you may well find that you get ventilation problems and overheating which in extreme circumstances could lead to a fire, or at the very least damage the negative. Actually not a very good idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't it dependable what output the transformer has?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I've read the earlier version of the enlarger used the 200W bulb they later upgraded to the 250w but I don't know if they upgraded the power supply at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the power supplies are the same on all of them. My LPL has the 200W bulb, the output isn't specifically stated, but it's fuse is labled for 250 watts, FWIW.
    The folks at KHB Photografix could probably give you a definitive answer if you call them. (http://www.khbphotografix.com/).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just checked mine and my power supply and bulb are both 250W which means I'm gonna have a pile of extra bulbs soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is another problem that you might have with using a different bulb. Exposure may become uneven if the light source is not exactly in the right place and you may find that you have wasted more money in paper than what you save on the bulb before you find the error (and have to buy another bulb anyway). Just make sure that the bulb you use is recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My LPL 7453 has a power supply and it says 250VA, does that mean I can use a 250W bulb? I am ignorant when it comes down to electronics. The thing is the fan also uses a bit of power.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bulbs are a real (resistive, non-reactive) load, so 250VA is the same as 250W. Put a motor on there and the relationship changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin