Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,612   Online: 1115

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And straight off the roll packaging? No $300 dispenser? I would assume that you would have a paper cutting night. So just a cutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obviously, I have never dealt with roll paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I understand that this isn't rocket science but it seems like there could be hidden dangers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I built a hanger with some PVC tube and coat hangers above my work area in my darkroom. Set the rotary cutter on the work surface and yeah it takes a while.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rice View Post
    And I understand that this isn't rocket science but it seems like there could be hidden dangers.
    Light.

Take a little time an think it through, use a roll of paper towels as a proxy to practice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may be easier to do than describe.

Friends of mine cut down a roll of Ilfochrome (24"?). And we shared the purchase of a 30" roll of Ilford Multigrade IV RC, which we have cut down part.

We don't have a 30" cutter, but my friends have a 24" Rotatrim.

They put together a bracket using a broom handle that attaches to the end of a table. On the Table they attached a mat cutter with a built in straight edge, and temporarily attached edges as guides to the paper. In addition, they attached a movable end marker, that clamps to the side guides.

The broom handle goes through the middle of the roll, which turns. The paper rolls of the roll, between the side guides and then under the flip-up straight edge of the mat cutter. The leading edge is pulled through between the side guides until it buts up against the end.

The flip up straight edge is used to guide a Logan cutter for the edge.

The mat cutter is used for the 30" roll. The 24" Rotatrim can be used instead for the 24" roll.

Practice with a cheap roll of wrapping paper first!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    They used to make the easel which you can load a roll of 8" paper in it. It would motorize advance the paper onto the easel and then cut it off when you're done exposing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just did a web search and ESECO Speedmaster still makes the same thing.
    http://www.eseco-speedmaster.com/easels.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin