Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,664   Online: 1160

Shooter
    35mm

Cyan cast caused by the Dichro head enlarger. what to do ?

I am getting a small cyan cast when I print with times longer than 10sec. I originally thought that maybe the cast was a developing problem with the film, but it's not the film. I scanned it and it has no cast. It's not the paper either, Because the cyan cast problem happens on different type of papers in about the same spot. Only a spot.

I think it must be the dichro head. (Beseler 23C-II Dichro head). If I expose any picture at F/11 for 11-12 sec. The cast appears. If I exposed the same picture at F/8 for 7 sec the cast is almost not noticeable , expose same pic at F/5.6 for 3 sec the cast is non existing. (All exposures being density correct). .

( keep in mind the cast is only on a certain spot, like a small blob or irregular circular shape.) always on the same spot. And the colors on the rest of the picture are correct.

Something wrong with the enlarger ? what to do ?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    look for anything red , timer ect which would be giving you a cyan cast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lhalcong View Post
    I am getting a small cyan cast when I print with times longer than 10sec. I originally thought that maybe the cast was a developing problem with the film, but it's not the film. I scanned it and it has no cast. It's not the paper either, Because the cyan cast problem happens on different type of papers in about the same spot. Only a spot.

I think it must be the dichro head. (Beseler 23C-II Dichro head). If I expose any picture at F/11 for 11-12 sec. The cast appears. If I exposed the same picture at F/8 for 7 sec the cast is almost not noticeable , expose same pic at F/5.6 for 3 sec the cast is non existing. (All exposures being density correct). .

( keep in mind the cast is only on a certain spot, like a small blob or irregular circular shape.) always on the same spot. And the colors on the rest of the picture are correct.

Something wrong with the enlarger ? what to do ?
    Does your lensboard have an illuminator just to the side of the lens that lights up the ƒstop ring? A lot of beseler boards have this "feature" and I'll bet that this is the cause of your problem. Check this link and you'll see what I'm referring to.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    yes it does, it has a little piece that lights up red and iluminates the f/ stop. that is exactly it like in the link you posted.

could that be the problem ?? how could it be that Beseler made such a mistake, I bought this thing used, maybe it is not beseler's mistake, maybe that board is only meant to be used in B&W prints... I will try without that, but I'll be dammed if that's the problem. thank you so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes it does, it has a little piece that lights up red and iluminates the f/ stop. that is exactly it like in the link you posted.

could that be the problem ?? how could it be that Beseler made such a mistake, I bought this thing used, maybe it is not beseler's mistake, maybe that board is only meant to be used in B&W prints... I will try without that, but I'll be dammed if that's the problem. thank you so much.
    Try putting a piece of electrical tape over the other end of the red thingy from the rear side of the lensboard and see if that does the trick. I'm not a fan of beselers, but I'll keep my big mouth shut in this case. Good luck.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yes it does, it has a little piece that lights up red and iluminates the f/ stop. How could it be that Beseler made such a mistake,
    It's not a mistake, it is intended to be used for black-and-white printing, not color work (red has no effect on black-and-white papers; that's why safelights are red...). Tape the opening on the back of the lensboard with lightproof tape or foil and print away, your cyan spot will likely be gone.

And, if it really bothers you, you can easily get lensboards for your Beseler without the illumination rod.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep. That's what it was. Son of a gun. I wasted so much paper in something so trivial. Oh well. Thanks so much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin