Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,269   Online: 832

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Zone VI Print Washer - Broken Drain Valve

Hi all:

I just took delivery on a Zone VI 16x20 Print Washer and in unpacking it, the small white drain valve on the bottom broke off. Its got a white plastic threaded screw attached to a rubber ball. As you tighten the butterfly on the plastic screw, it pulls the ball tight against the hole and forms a seal.

In any event, that plastic threaded bolt broke off right near the wall, so there's no way to re-attach that butterfly nut. It seemed like the plastic might have been a bit brittle anyway. So, i'm wondering if anyone has ever had to replace one of these. it seems like you might be able to go to home depot and get a proper valve and use it as a replacement. Any thoughts?

thanks,
    scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understand, the Zone VI printwasher did not come with a drain. But many people, including the prior owner of the one I have, added their own.

So the drain you have may not match what others have. I suggest you add a photo for comparison.

Mine uses a plug like this http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/attw.../0000000006388
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    As I understand, the Zone VI printwasher did not come with a drain. But many people, including the prior owner of the one I have, added their own.

So the drain you have may not match what others have. I suggest you add a photo for comparison.

Mine uses a plug like this http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/attw.../0000000006388
    well, i think something like that would do the trick. there's a hole in the bottom of the washer (now that i removed the broken plug) and that hole is 3/4 inch in diameter. this is a simpler solution than what i was thinking, which was to get a grommet and somehow affix a small spigot. it's not the same as i've got, but like i said, it will probably work!

thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Zone VI 16x20 came with a drain. It is a coupler-type fitting that holds a vinyl hose that has a clamp to close/drain it. This way it can be on the counter top and empty into the sink.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    My Zone VI 16x20 came with a drain. It is a coupler-type fitting that holds a vinyl hose that has a clamp to close/drain it. This way it can be on the counter top and empty into the sink.

That's a better arrangement than the simple drain on mine. Without a drain hose, the drain is really only useful for draining within a sink or getting the last bit of water out. Can you upload a photo of your drain?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have had good luck buying all sorts of plastic valves, fittings etc from US Plastics ( usplastic.com) Half of the plumbing fittings in my darkroom came from them .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They're a great supplier. I modified my CPE-2Plus to have a drain using one of their drain valves.
    Charles R. Lawson, CPP, AFP
    PPA Certified Professional Photographer
    The Highlander Studios
    804-436-9999
    charles@quantum-imaging.com
    www.thehighlanderstudios.com
    www.facebook.com/highlanderstudios
    www.flickr.com/charleslawson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    mgb74,

The pictures were taken with a phone but should give you an idea. I didn't have time for more elaborate photos -- heading out of town in an hour.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1 copy.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	67857

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	67858

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those photos work, thanks.

The top is standard. At least that's what I've seen in all the ones I've looked at (a few in person, most in photos). Mine has a simple, neatly drilled hole in the bottom with a plug like I referenced.

I'm not where my darkroom is right now but, if I recall correctly, you can't access the inner side of that outer plexiglass due to the glued in inner wall. So any drain fitting would have to be glued in.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin