Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,419   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep the hassy, buy an anchor and throw that in your bag. It'll weigh the same and its a great workout!
    Let me know if you're serious about the fuji, I had the chance to get one last time I was in l.a for cheap.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used to proof a 120-roll's-worth of 6x9cm negs on one sheet of 8x10-inch paper regularly. Should be no problem with the Fuji 6x8 (which is basically the same).

FWIW, 6x9 (or 6x8 in your case) gives you a whole lot more negative area than 6x6 unless you plan on printing square. Cropping 6x6 gives you 6x4.5 or something similar for that aspect ratio; cropping 6x9 to the same aspect ratio is your 6x8: 27 vs 48 sq. cm. That's a major difference if you are planning on enlarging much.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Keep the hassy, buy an anchor and throw that in your bag. It'll weigh the same and its a great workout!
    Let me know if you're serious about the fuji, I had the chance to get one last time I was in l.a for cheap.
    Thanks Vinny,
    I know I can always rely on you for a witty comment
    Yes, I'm serious about the Fuji. The HB is great, and I DO plan on keeping it, but Doremus brings up a good point; if cropping 6x6, I'm basically getting 1/2 the negative size-wise after that crop vs. shooting 6x8 right off the bat.
    I plan to drum scan the majority of film, like what I already do with 6x6, but making optical enlargements is on the agenda as well for those shots where I feel that a better option, or if I just want to

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    It would have to be a pretty large anchor though.

I think it was on PhotoNet a couple of years ago when I was researching the GX680 that a guy took his backpacking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just googled up one of these Fuji things. GOOD LORD! What do you tote it around with?--a hand truck? Maybe a pack mule. I believe I'd get a Crown Graphic and a 6x9 roll film back and live with 8 negatives per roll than 9. Seems like it would be a ton cheaper too. Or a view camera with roll film back if you've got to have the movements. On top of that, I don't have a very high personal opinion of Fuji lenses. I'd be afraid of light falloff from doing too much movement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ya, they're not small by any margin

But I don't plan on backpacking this thing around, it'll be mostly local/from the car shooting.

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately I don't have my negatives handy - the only shot I have of one that shows the edges is this: http://ph.otographer.com/landscape-p...7-bryce-canyon ... and it's a bit fuzzy.

As far as traveling with it - there's a shot here in use out near the Mojave desert with the case that I carried everything in: http://ph.otographer.com/the-photographer

It wasn't that bad carrying it around outside without the case, I did some walk abouts in San Francisco with it and the monopod, and also some just carrying it around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin