Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,097   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Proofing 6x8 negatives on 8x10 paper, any issues?

quick question:

Can you proof a roll of 6x8cm negatives onto an 8x10 sheet of paper w/o any hassle(entire roll of negatives not fitting onto the paper)?

I currently use Hasselblad, and all (12) 6x6 negatives proof onto 8x10 paper no problem.
    What about (9) 6x8 negatives from a 120 roll, in the same sleeves(3 strips of 3, instead of 3 strips of 4-6x6 negatives/strip)

Only asking b/c I really dislike buying multiple sizes of paper(one of the reasons I sold my RZ kit, great camera, but prefer 3x4(6x8) proportions to the 4x5(6x7) ratios).

Edit(addition):I'm asking because I'm considering a Fuji 680 system, and not sure of negative spacing.

thx,
    Dan
    Last edited by DanielStone; 04-24-2013 at 12:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sit down and do the math--there's your answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    Sit down and do the math--there's your answer.
    thanks for the charming answer

I don't know what negative spacing is like on the Fuji 6x8, hence my question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pardon. It was not meant in a smart-a** spirit. I would suppose the spacing would be the same 1/8 to 3/16 of any other 120 camera. So what's that--9 exposures on a roll? I just don't think it's going to work on 8x10. But maybe doing the math will give a clue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no worries HTF, I had a feeling we were on the same page here

10" = 254mm, so if neg spacing is ~6-8mm between frames, it might work, barely...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The frames are only 76mm long so unless the spacing is whack, it should just fit. I figure the spacing has to be reasonably tight or the 9 frames won't fit on a roll of 120; at 10mm spacing there is no head/tail left to grip during developing!

I'd be interested to hear how you go with the GX680. I too have an RZ and use it 95% of the time, I like the idea of 6x8 but can't see myself lugging the GX680 everywhere or handholding it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd listen to polyglot. Seems I've seen his name on here with some credibility. As for me, my brain doesn't do metric. Metric people seem to figure out things pretty well. You just can't understand what they're saying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The frames are only 76mm long.....
    I'd be interested to hear how you go with the GX680. I too have an RZ and use it 95% of the time, I like the idea of 6x8 but can't see myself lugging the GX680 everywhere or handholding it.
    Thanks Polyglot,
    Well 76mm or 80mm, whatever, I still like the camera/system/format .
    I don't really plan on "walking around with it", more of a tripod/monopod-based system. LF-esque techniques but with the convenience/speed or rollfilm
    It might be a while before I post anything about it, work's been really slow this year, so extra spending cash has been quite a bit less than last year! But I'll probably drop on a body/single lens kit sooner or later.

thx for the tip, anyone else by chance have actual experience with this "issue"(original topic) of proofing on 8x10 paper?
    I know its a somewhat trivial matter, but I don't like having to stock ANOTHER size of paper in the d/r unless I have to....

cheers,
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    came across this just now on flickr(not mine, just linked for reference):

looks like 6x8 on 8x10 might just work

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin