Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,922   Posts: 1,522,101   Online: 773

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this supposed to be like this?

I ordered a 20x24 sheet of Rosco Fire #19 to repair the filters in my Thomas Duplex.

I just opened the box from B&H, and this is what I find. The entire filter looks like it was pressed between two nail beds, and there's a big crease in the middle. I can't photograph the spots, but it looks like someone went around the whole sheet with nails and made indentations with the point of the nail. There's no holes though.

Is it worth returning? Will the crease or dots affect the light?

I assume not, but want to be sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366911593.961877.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	67799

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366911610.257245.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	67800

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Usually comes out smooth, after being rolled in a mailing tube when we buy it straight from theatrical wholesalers

Rosco, Lee or GAM can all be creased if folded tightly. It does not affect the transmissivity of the wavelength in any substantial manner.

You are not trying to take picture through it, though. It is just to filter broad spectrum and emit only the specified red frequncies. I acknowledge that freqeuncy is not quite the right word to use here.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll just use it then. It'll cost me more to return it. Thanks Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, that's not right. It appears damaged. I got mine from the Pacific Northwest Theatrical Association. It came in a mailing tube. There were no cracks or creases, and no indentations. Not even any fingerprints.

I would think that if the material has not actually been penetrated, it should be OK. But given the smallish size of the filter material needed, I might just try to trim from around the imperfections, if possible. Just to be safe.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figured I'd try to cut an edge along the crease if I needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Damaged goods. You should be able to send it back for free if you documented the problem when you opened the package.

Depending on how you intend to use it, the gel might be okay. If I was using this on a stage in a spotlight, I am pretty sure it would burn through prematurely. Gel has to lay flat in the holder in order to resist the heat. Air flow is key in that application. In a regular light fixture with glass to shield it from heat it might be all right.

The decision is yours but, if it was me, I'd send it back.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    Damaged goods. You should be able to send it back for free if you documented the problem when you opened the package.

Depending on how you intend to use it, the gel might be okay. If I was using this on a stage in a spotlight, I am pretty sure it would burn through prematurely. Gel has to lay flat in the holder in order to resist the heat. Air flow is key in that application. In a regular light fixture with glass to shield it from heat it might be all right.

What he said. B&H has excellent customer service.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post

It was $6.95/sheet.

It would cost me more to drive to the post office. As long as it will function properly in the safelight, that's all I'm worried about.

I'll cut around this crease and avoid using it between the glass plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Question for you: Is the tissue paper backing also creased and pocked?

If so, that indicates to me that somebody tossed that sheet into a pile of junk on a table then stacked other junk on top of it. I see this, occasionally, at the theater where I work. It is a movie theater and a legitimate, stage theater. We use Rosco gel in the spotlights. When the gel gets tossed into a pile, this occasionally happens.

We keep scraps of gel and crinkled up pieces for use in small, non-critical projects but we won't use them for big shows. They'll often burn through. When they do, it is always when it is least convenient. Like right in the middle of the big finale number.
    ("Paging Mr. Murphy! Mr. Murphy, please pick up the white courtesy phone!")

Long story short... Somebody probably tossed this gel in a pile, wrinkled it up then stuffed it in a box and sold it to you.

It doesn't matter to me whether you think the goods are fit for your purpose or whether you want to take the time and trouble to send them back but the seller should know that somebody in his Shipping Department is slacking off. I would complain or at least send a note.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin