Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,694   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Sometimes with a strip each side of angled metal to minimise bending caused by the constant pressure of the leaning enlarger head.
    The OP mention he had a Beseler 23CII-XL and I looked at my Beseler 23CII-XL, which had no such metal and is 3/4inch thick. Nor does my very large Durst 4x5 although it is 1.25 in thick. However, on my Beseler 4x5, the whole frame is attached to angle iron which then attaches to either (3/4 inch thick) wood or MSD, depending on the vintage of the enlarger.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You have all great answers here, and I'm not being snarky. But if you just happen to have a slab of marble or granite... That would make an excellent enlarger base.
    Any granite counter top finishing company will have a bin of scraps. Plus there's all those sink cutouts.

But drilling it to attach an enlarger column would be difficult (doable, but a pain).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've seen some particle board baseboards warp over time. Plywood may be more rigid. Rather than using really thick plywood, consider two layers of relatively thin plywood separated by a properly designed and glued pattern of wood strips to function much like an I-beam. It can be stiffer than a solid baseboard of equal weight, but thicker.

If the base of the column has a small area of contact with the baseboard, it can compress the wood fibers and cause the column to tilt slightly. A metal plate to distribute the pressure can reduce this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin