Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,947   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Durst CLS500 light issue

I have a Durst L1200 enlarger with a CLS500 color head with a problem. I noticed the light was very dim when i got it, requiring very long printing times. I looked at the bulb and compared it to what I found recommended in the manuals for the CLS 501 head. My bulb is a 200W, 84V bulb and the manual says a 250W, 24V bulb. So I got a couple of the recommended bulbs. They both immediately blew. It only took a second or less and they were gone. I checked the fuse in the transformer and it is fine. It is a 250V, 5 amp fuse as per the manual.

I also noticed that all the little bulbs for the filter dials are out, but do not look damaged. I do not see a switch for these or any reference to a switch in the manual. I appreciate any help from those of you that know these enlargers or electrical wiring.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which power transformer do you have? TRA 450 in metal box, TRA 500 in plastic box or other? Can you measure that it indeed is putting out 24V?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would get a manual for the CLS500 color head rather than use the one for the CLS 501 head. Kind of basic troubleshooting.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I will take my voltmeter next time I am at school to see what it puts out, however that won't be for another month. The semester ended yesterday, the same day as my bulbs arrived. It is the plastic case transformer. As for the proper manual, I cannot find one online or in print, but I will keep looking.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes a bad socket can cause bulbs to blow if you have a voltage-controlled power supply using a triac. What happens is that a poor connection to the lamp leads to low current flow which causes the regulating feedback loop to open up the triac and put 120V on the bulb. This bridges the poor connection and lights the bulb (with a pop!) before the circuit can regulate it down to 24V.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, I tried reading the voltage of this head today. It would jump up to 120V randomly and then settle down for a while, then jump momentarily again. Is there any fix for this? I would love to use this enlarger over the summer. If it is just a bad socket, I should be able to find one somewhere.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ic-racer, how can I tell if the supply uses a triac? I don't see any arcing evidence on the prongs of the bulb to suspect the socket rather than the supply itself.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the TRA 500? Google doesn't come up with one.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    So, this is not a TRA 500, it is an EST 500. I opened it up and saw some damage to the circuit board. It looks like a part fried, and one has even come completely disconnected on one side. The large orange piece is loose and the small blue trimpot is only connected on one end now. Can anyone help me identify and find a replacement for these? I know someone experienced to solder these in place, but I need to get the right pieces for them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC6497.jpg   _DSC6498.jpg   _DSC6501.jpg   _DSC6502.jpg   _DSC6504.jpg  

www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has someone been in there before? That 600V 0.02uF Sprague Orange Drop capacitor is frequently used as a coupling capacitor in tube amps and looks out of place.
    I'd replace all the parts on the blackened part of the circuit board. The one resistor looks like an 8.5K 2W carbon composition but could be replaced with a metal oxide power resistor. The white ceramic resistor looks like a 5W 1.5K which should be easy to find. If the blue trimmer is not totally fried, you could measure the resistance; otherwise check for some other identifying marks.
    mouser.com and allied.com should have the parts needed. If you are compulsive, you could replace all the components and make a like-new circuit board : http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=767799

In reality, it would be easier to just locate a new 24V power supply. The power supply I rebuilt also contained all the control functions for the servo motors in a closed loop head; therefore totally irreplaceable.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-11-2013 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't know if someone has been in ti before. It was donated to our department. I looked up the resistors at mouser and found a wirewound one that matches the dark one, but there aren't any ceramic resistors that have the same qualities as the ceramic one here. They do have wirewound resistors rated at 5% rather than 10%. Would that work?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin