Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,741   Online: 802

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Stone,

If you are serious about setting up a darkroom, you might actually be more selective and be willing to spend some money on enlargers. After all, it's the most important equipment in printing. You should be able to find Omega D2 or some Beseler for cheap, say 50 dollars max and be reasonably clean, functional, and basically complete.

I love picking up free orphan enlargers but parts for non-common types are hard to find, and you are bound to need something either to expand your capability or to repair. If I needed, say 6x6 neg carrier or condenser lens for my D2, all I need to do is to browse APUG classified or do a WTB post. Can't say the same for non-common types. I have a complete Vivitar VI but spare parts are not easy to come by and some are basically impossible to find now.
    You're probably right, the problem is I don't know what is good and what is not, it's like asking an aboriginal minor to pick out the best automobile to purchase....

I just have no idea, I'm also not "serious" yet because I've never even seen an enlarger before these 3 I picked up, so I really want some practical experience before I invest serious money, I might not like it and end up preferring the scan and print method, I know this might be upsetting but it will be 3 years before my GF and I get married and buy a house where I can actually have the space to set up a darkroom. Right now I'll be setting up and then breaking down and putting in boxes each time I want to print...

This is just the first enlarger I've found that actually can take 6x7, the other two only went 6x6 and the other just 35mm so that doesn't help me.

I've been recently offered an Omega D2 by an APUGer after this post, which I'm excited about, I see that was mentioned as a good choice so perhaps that's good?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Not sure why something like this wouldn't float your boat:
    http://providence.craigslist.org/pho/3751886945.html

Get in car and go....
    Is that a good deal? I honestly have no clue what's good and what's not haha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Toss it, sorry to be the Debbie Downer. But mold spores and a nice clean neg just don't sit well.
    Mold spores are everywhere. I might as well toss everything...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've been recently offered an Omega D2 by an APUGer after this post, which I'm excited about, I see that was mentioned as a good choice so perhaps that's good?
    Heck yeah it's good!! Glad to hear somone's taking care of ya! Follow that lead, forget that RI enlarger I linked (btw I only linked it as an example of a 4x5 enlarger that looked mint'ish and went to 4x5 and the price seemed decent but others might disagree - I don't print 4x5 so I'm outta my league anyway)

Good on ya whomever you are APUG'r helping Stone out w the D2...
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Heck yeah it's good!! Glad to hear somone's taking care of ya! Follow that lead, forget that RI enlarger I linked (btw I only linked it as an example of a 4x5 enlarger that looked mint'ish and went to 4x5 and the price seemed decent but others might disagree - I don't print 4x5 so I'm outta my league anyway)

Good on ya whomever you are APUG'r helping Stone out w the D2...
    That's some good enthusiasm so now I'm excited lol. I'm so clueless to enlarger versions/brands but considering the enthusiasm I guess it's a good one yay!

I really hope I can finally pay back/forward some of the nice help I've had from APUG. It's such an awesome community.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone:

A Omega D2 would be a great choice. As would a DII - which one is it?

In North America there is a huge inventory of used Omega and Beseler equipment, and almost all the models have strong points.

Just ask before you pull the trigger.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stone:

A Omega D2 would be a great choice. As would a DII - which one is it?

In North America there is a huge inventory of used Omega and Beseler equipment, and almost all the models have strong points.

Just ask before you pull the trigger.
    message said D2 Ok thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really hope I can finally pay back/forward some of the nice help I've had from APUG.
    Don't worry. We're keeping score, and Christmas isn't too far away

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a D2 and DII and both are great. Omega itself used those names somewhat interchangeably so name itself really doesn't say much. The defining characteristic is, D2 has gears cut into the slanted vertical post and DII doesn't. What that does is the head goes up and down by a handle crank for D2 and you just push and pull for DII. D2 also has a thicker slanted post than DII.

I actually prefer DII for some reason.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this might be upsetting but it will be 3 years before my GF and I get married and buy a house where I can actually have the space to set up a darkroom.
    Hardly, I started amassing darkroom gear in late 2007 and made my first print with it in January of 2012. I gave up in trying to find a proper darkroom space and instead, rented a storage unit for all my crap that was in my outside storage closet and converted that to my darkroom...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin