Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,178   Online: 897

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Third times a charm? New (old) enlarger need info please

So got another moldy enlarger from a friend, however this one is a 4x5 enlarger, it's massive, and I would like to keep it if possible.

Here it is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367430466.367550.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	68107

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367430556.253612.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	68108

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367430573.295350.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	68109

So the lens is pretty unrecoverable, the glass is moldy and the aperture blades are mangled.

I only have the 4x5 holder so does anyone know where to get the other ones?

Can I get new bellows? It's big enough that I think I can take it off and put a new one on?

And I think I can clean the rest of it to make it safe not to transfer mold spores to film etc.

Are all the lens threads the same size? I already have a 135 from another enlarger, but that's for 6x7 right so for 4x5 I need 150mm?

I'm sure I'll have more questions at some point.

Any suggestions? It's laying out in the sun now hope that kills some of the mold.

Thanks!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    135mm lens will probably cover 5 x 4

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the 135 lens will most likely work for 4x5 also, depending on the lens. 6x7 is generally handled by an 80-105mm range lens. If the bellows are so permeated by mold that wiping them down with a rag soaked with dilute chlorox and letting them sun for a couple days still won't get rid of it, worst case scenario you can make a new one in a couple of afternoons worth of cutting new ribs and gluing them to some light-tight cloth. There are patterns out there on the internet you can download to help you figure it out. If you're feeling a bit more flush with cash, you can probably contact one of those Chinese bellows-makers on Ebay and order what you need. Any other accessories you'd want for this enlarger would most likely be sourced on Ebay, with a lot of time spent hunting them down. You can make carriers for it out of black solid mat board, and lens boards can be made from 1/8" plywood. You'll need to make a baseboard, which you can do out of 1/2" plywood.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stone, you're worse than me even, dragging home old clunkers...

A 135 will definitely cover 9x12 cm but I think it would cover 4x5" too. Bellows can be made, there are a few resources out there on the 'net.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Stone, you're worse than me even, dragging home old clunkers...

A 135 will definitely cover 9x12 cm but I think it would cover 4x5" too. Bellows can be made, there are a few resources out there on the 'net.
    Well the prints I want to make are larger than 4x5 of course, I'm not sure if its the size of the print or film size that matters. I'm guessing as big as I can get away with on this enlarger (eventually).

As far as bringing home clunkers, these are the first 3 I've seen in the year since I've started looking that were free lol.

I had no idea it was going to be so big.

Does the height determine the largest print size? How can I tell the biggest I would be able to print with this?

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The column height is a significant factor in how big an enlargement you can make. The taller the column, the greater the potential magnification. You should be able to print up to 20x24 with this using the (home-brew replacement) baseboard. If you wall-mount it and project onto the floor, you can probably go quite a bit bigger than that. The 4x5 designation has to do with the maximum negative size, not maximum print size.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Does the height determine the largest print size? How can I tell the biggest I would be able to print with this?
    The height and lens determine the biggest baseboard print.

But looking at your first picture, I suspect that the head can be turned 90 degrees to project on a wall or vertical easel. In that case, the size of your darkroom is the limiting factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The print size is determined by the focal length of the lens and the height (distance between negative and easel). The shorter the focal length, the larger the magnification. The larger the height, the larger the magnification.

The focal length of the lens is a guide to what size negative can be used with it. Many 135mm lenses "cover" a 4 x 5 negative out to the corners, while a few only "cover" a smaller negative. By "cover" I mean that when you look at the print, the corners of the image aren't darkened, and the details of the image at the corners are sharply resolved.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your maximum print size will be double the distance from the front edge of the column to a point straight down from the center of the lens.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Are all the lens threads the same size? I already have a 135 from another enlarger, but that's for 6x7 right so for 4x5 I need 150mm?
    The three most common thread sizes are 25mm, 39mm, and 50mm. http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/lensboard.php?tab=3 gives a pretty good list of lenses and their corresponding thread sizes.. By far the most common is the 39mm.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin