Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,797   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Easel descriptions

Hi, I bought a RRB 2 blade easel for printing 12x16 and to my dismay, although the base board is 12x16, the blades will crop the photo so that the exposed area is only 10x12. Does this mean I have a 10x12 easel? Have I been taken for a ride here?! Luckily, my GAS means I have also bought a borderless Kaiser 12x16 easel which will definitely cover the print size, albeit without boarders. Thanks.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would expect exactly this.
    For any easel I'd expect the nomimal size to be given for the paper-size to be fixed. With a glass-plate easel the useful size would be identical to the paper size, for an easel with blases I'd expect the blades to reduce the useful size.
    This concept of designation is especially usefull with easels in mind where one can switch between blades and glass-plate.

But I see your point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I live and learn, thanks for the reply. The irony is that my enlarger has a vertical column, which means that these large RRB easel blades and borders would force a reduction to the "useful size" to a landscape height of 10 inches or 25cm, even if I had intended on using a larger RRB easel, so the "12x16" is the maximum I can use on my enlarger. Luckily I have this Kaiser easel still, as I had been thinking of consolidating my darkroom kit a bit and getting rid of this. Now the question is whether any of my recent Bronica photos deserve to be printed at 12x16!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case you are mechanically inclined you might consider setting the enlarger head more apart from the collumn be mounting a kind of rod between them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I might just fire up a Meopta which is sitting in the garage and try that. Its got an angled column. However, it only does 35mm. I suppose I could keep an eye out for an Opemus 6, but at some point my wife is going to lose her rag.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning those easels: Yes, it would be a good idea if the manufacturers (there are not that many left) indicate:

-) the largest paper size that can be held in position

-) the largest image size that can be obtained when using blades

Especially constructions where the blades cannot be shoven above/beneath the frame yield and Image size that is much smaller that the base of the easel.

Shooter
    35mm
    of course, there is a way to print bordlerless with this, and thats to simply lift up the hinged blades into a vertical position!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And how is the paper kept flat then?
    I don't know that RRB easel, but I guess even with the two blades flipped up two frame legs will still hold the paper and thus leave at least a small border to be cut off.

There a quite some different approaches to easel construction, that's why I ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    And how is the paper kept flat then?
    I don't know that RRB easel, but I guess even with the two blades flipped up two frame legs will still hold the paper and thus leave at least a small border to be cut off.

There a quite some different approaches to easel construction, that's why I ask.
    I meant to get the quote "How do you get the paper to lay flat?"
    The answer is to spray the easel with a re-placeable adhesive such as SprayMount. I have been using it for years.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoojammyflip View Post
    Hi, I bought a RRB 2 blade easel for printing 12x16 and to my dismay, although the base board is 12x16, the blades will crop the photo so that the exposed area is only 10x12. Does this mean I have a 10x12 easel? Have I been taken for a ride here?! Luckily, my GAS means I have also bought a borderless Kaiser 12x16 easel which will definitely cover the print size, albeit without boarders. Thanks.
    I think you have a 10x12 easel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin