Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,966   Online: 755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Wide- & Tele- Rolleis

Anyone know how good these were? Esp. the lenses?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I believe Sanders McNew uses a Tele-Rollei frequently. You can google him and his images (many NSFW) to get an idea of how the camera/lens images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Rolleiwide for a very long time. Biggest mistake was to have sold it.
    This is one of the best 6x6 wide angle. Not a 50, not a 60. That Distagon 55 is perfect, almost no distorsion.
    And on a body like a Rollei it makes a very compact camera.

As for the Tele.
    Lens is like the wide. Fantastic.
    Except that it is much bigger and heavier.
    Another issue is the minimum focus distance which is quite long.
    To get close you need to get some Rolleinar (there are 3), they are rare and expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite agree with Guillaume about the Tele-Rollei, a really wonderful lens on a lovely camera. But to use it as a portrait camera you do need those Rolleinars, and the book form one that I have cost an indecent amount.
    As for the wide, never could afford one! Would imagine that it is damn good though.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have not seen a Tele-Rollie for years but they do crop up for sale occasionally but now they cost the same as a small car. As good as they are I cannot see the point in paying out such a large sum of money for something you are going to be afraid of using.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tele-Rolleis are easy to find, and while they're more expensive than a standard Rollei, they're not THAT much more (if a regular Rollei is $800-$1000, a Tele can be found for $1200-$1800). Rollei-Wides, on the other hand, are far more rare, and far more expensive (try $3K for a beater). The Wide also takes a Bayonet IV filter and accessories. Those are extremely rare and expensive. Another vice of the Tele-Rolleis is that they are prone to lens separation - there are a LOT of them out there with obvious balsam degeneration. While it can be fixed, in theory, you're far better off saving your pennies and getting one that doesn't have any separation issues (unlike German Shepherds, where it may be unavoidable, you can't tell until you have the dog, and the rewards of ownership outweigh the issues).

The close focus on the original Tele-Rollei has been addressed with the modern Tele-Rollei - one of the recent ones will focus to something like 4 feet instead of 8, eliminating the need for Rolleinars for portraits. The current production ones, however, go for around $4500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello friends,

just for your information:
    Both the Wide and Tele-Rolleiflex are built new in the original factory in Brunswick, Lower-Saxony, Germany (it is not so far from my home and I had the luck to visit this factory two times with a guided factory tour):

http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/en/rolleiflex-tlr.html

The current Tele-Rolleiflex has a much shorter minimum focus distance than the first, old model. It can be easily used for portraits without a Rolleinar.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are both terrific performers and of amazing build quality. The tele- lens has a signature that I love and its perhaps my favorite MF camera. The -wide clicks with me like no other wide angle perspective camera/lens does. I have many other lenses and cameras that shoot this perspective but for some reason struggle at the wider end, being much more of a normal to short-tele shooter, but once I started shooting my Rolleiwide I've been thrilled with my results. Could be I try harder because I paid so much! Was also not prepared for how well it does close up. I'm really big on TLRs and Rollei in general so that helps too.

Rolleiwide:

Golden Gate Park fern grove Rolleiwide Agfapan25 HC-110 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Shoshone Falls Rolleiwide TMY-2 HC-110 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Golden Gate Park Mallard Lake Rolleiwide Plus-X HC-110 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Tele-rolleiflex:

Devil's Tower Tele-Rolleiflex IlfordHP5+ HC-110 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Tilden Farm Ben Tele-Rolleiflex KodakTMY400 D-76 by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr

Franklin Canyon Tele-Rolleiflex lfordHP5 at800 Rodinal by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 05-12-2013 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all, and esp. thanks for the link, Henning. Sure glad they're still being made, now I have to find some way(!) to get all three. Chip

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Interesting to see now with the new Rolleis you can choose the color of the leather and the color of the metal... gold or silver.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin