Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,215   Online: 1185

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tecnolab vs Refrema dip & dunk processors

I'm thinking of purchasing a dip & dunk processor for C-41 and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions regarding either Tecnolab or Refrema.
    I've had a bit of experience with a few Tecnolab machines of differing eras and have found them to be quite robust things; easy to use and understand.
    I've only really seen photos of the Refrema, and they certainly look nice. I was just wondering if they're equally easy to use/maintain.
    Has anyone here had experience with both? and do you have an opinion either way?

I realise that this is a very broad question, as both manufacturers make/made more than a few different models, but I'm interested in broad opinions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I prefer Technolab over Refrema. Ive owned 5 Technolabs and 2 Refrema and I prefer the build quality and computer in the technolab. Maybe I'm bias though as I have far more experience with the Technolab machines and find them extreamly reliable.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a San Marco dip and dunk back in the seventies, still have nightmares about it! There you are in the dark and the rack gets a bit of sway and those 36 exp films start to swing..eek.
    Also lost more that a few 110's when the rack did a less than gentle touch down. I'm sure that I just had a bad machine and dip and dunk is still the best way to process film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you know what? either are great. you are lucky if you have a choice. c-41s nowadays can be difficult to find because so many were skipped in recent years. when i got my c-41 a couple of years ago i didn't have a any choice and was limited by the basement ceiling height, so the tecnolab was all i had available.
    i would consider the support/servicing situation is like before you choose too.
    i have a tecnolab at the moment and am very happy with it, the control that you have is great but i have found that the computer boards have needed replacing a little too regularly, but the guys at capix send them out pretty swiftly and i just slot them in.
    whilst i prefer the feel of the refrema build quality and racks the tecnolab 5x4 & 10x8 racks are better for getting film taut with sprung tension clips,the program-ability of the push/pull feature ( to the second) on the tecnolab is great as is the temp control and replenishment. the lift is very smooth too, good enough for 220 film in narrow tanks, but again you can control the lift cycle time too if you are worried, slowing it down to minimise swing.
    both companies make solid reliable machines.
    for the money i paid it was a very sound investment as i am processing at least 50 rolls a day and can count the serious issues on one hand.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the input all,

I think I'll be aiming for the Tecnolab after all that. I have the familiarity with them, they seem to be more available, and everyone I'd be able to get help from has experience with them.
    I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin