Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,538   Online: 1049

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    The ultimate truth comes not from Ken, or me, or anyone else here. The only answer that matters is your own. If you do not like the images the camera and lenses produce then you get a different camera. That being said I don't discount Ken Rockwell out of hand as some folk tend to do. He has an opinion, yes, we all do. He certainly has a wealth of experience. That alone counts for something.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wait, who is jealous of Ken?

The man writes for a living about photography. He depends on ad revenue, therefore he tends towards contentious linkbait and inflammatory statements. It's not to say that anything or everything he says is wrong, just that you have to keep his motives and modus operandi in mind when reading him. Sometimes he says something quite incisive, sometimes he says something spectacularly dumb and it's best to assume it's not necessarily because he's stupid, he's probably just winding up one of the many photographic football-teams so that they'll all link to him in a round of crowing or indignation.

He doesn't do particularly scientific tests, because why would he? People read him for entertainment and opinions they can relate to.

For all I know, Mamiya TLR lenses are crap and abominably flare-prone; I've never used one. But I wouldn't take Ken's word for it in either direction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    a) Ken Rockwell is a goober. Keep this in mind at all times.

b) multicoating on filters will reduce flare due to the filter, not any other flare. All they can do is make the filter less-bad; there does not exist any filter that will give a less-flared image than with no filter. If you want to reduce flare, use a lens hood to make sure there is no direct sun landing on the lens.

If the contrast of the scene is so high that you can't record both shadow and highlight, then yes maybe the lens is poor or insufficiently clean. Or maybe you're just imagining that you can capture a greater dynamic range than is really possible - a white house in sunshine is about EV17 and a dark fence in shade could be EV5 or lower, which is a ridiculous dynamic range. Even with a perfect and flare-free optical system you're going to struggle to capture detail in both the fence and the house even on the best modern negative film. And you won't be able to print it without a massive dodge/burn.
    Ken Rockwell is a peanut? Yeah in the south we call peanuts goobers sometimes.
    I find that I agree with Ken at times, and sometimes I don't. One example: Nikon AF 35-70mm 3.3-4.5 lens. Ken hated it, Moose Peterson loved it, called it a sleeper lens, very sharp. I have one, and I've found it to be very sharp, and other photographers have commented on the photos, asking what lens I used. The earlier comment about the only authority you should be concerned with is you. I have Mamiya TLR cameras and lenses, and I am completely satisfied with them. I shoot Pentax 645 and don't find it to be vastly superior to the Mamiya lenses. So, I guess if YOU don't like them, don't use them, and don't worry about what other people say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like and use my Mamiya TLR lenses.

I don't find them better or worse then my other medium format lenses, but I do find them different.

They do present a bit more of a challenge when it comes to lens hoods, but I can usually handle that.

I like them particularly with slide film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the Mamiya TLR because it has less parallax than the Mamiya 6 I used to have, and it looks SO intelligent, just like 35mm rangefinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used a C33 for years in the 70's, with the 80 (or 75, whatever that range was) and the 135, always on tripod, and liked the results. But eventually I moved to Rollei's because of something I'll call a combination of sharpness and contrast that I kept seeing as better with the Rollei lenses. I often wondered, though, whether it was better optics in the Rollei, or whether the mounting and changing mechanism of the Mamiya (which I always considered to be somewhat tinker toy) resulted in not quite accurate position of the lens to film, or slight differences in the focusing vs the shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...I often wondered, though, whether it was better optics in the Rollei, or whether the mounting and changing mechanism of the Mamiya (which I always considered to be somewhat tinker toy) resulted in not quite accurate position of the lens to film, or slight differences in the focusing vs the shooting...
    Fair enough.
    This also brings up another good point, though...the importance of shooting a test roll of film, or two.
    Ensuring that the lens focus actually matches what you see in the viewfinder or WLF focusing screen.

Taping the front page of a newspaper to a wall works well for me. Bracket some focusing shots,
    much like bracketing for exposure.
    These 'focus bracketing' shots will show whether your TLR 'taking lens,' is in tune with the 'viewing lens.'

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Ken Rockwell said
    You lost me there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pretty happy with my Mamiya C330 and the lens that is on there about 99% of the time is the Mamiya-Sekor 80mm/f2.8

BSA by magnus919, on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin