Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 791

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Need help with darkroom re: ventilation

Hi all,

I'm finally going to get my feet wet and try to develop my first print. I pretty much have everything I need to get going, but before I do so, I have a question regarding ventilation.

My makeshift darkroom is not big; I'd say it's the size of a small bathroom. However, it has no water source unfortunately, though the bathroom is not far away. It is basically my husband's workroom, and he was kind enough to share it with me (he doesn't realize that I plan to slowly take over!). The room is located in the basement, and is basically surrounded by four walls and no windows. The room is located at the center of the house, so it would be impossible to have ventilation that draws the fumes to the outdoors without some major holes being drilled (husband does NOT want to do that). So my question is, what are my ventilation options? I am quite concerned about fumes. Using the bathroom as a temp darkroom would be difficult as my enlarger is quite heavy and I would not want to cart it around. (Beseler 23CIII XL)

Thanks!!
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Macy,

You might want to look at http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/10809-darkroom-building-ventilation-advice.html, a similar thread. I mentioned some very quiet exhaust and intake fans and their source.
    Ventilation is v-e-r-y important. As you may know many of the famous photographers left us with cancer attributed to the fumes they breathed while in their version of a darkroom. Chemicals have improved but their labels all stress the importance of proper ventilation.

The exhaust fan mentioned mounts between the rafters of our basement. The exhaust air runs in ducts through the rafters to the outside. A dryer vent cap keeps the bugs out.

Fresh air can come into the room from the basement through a good quality furnace filter and a right angle light trap eliminating dust and dog hair from your work. We have a shedding Labrador.

I would suggest when discussing the cost of holes in the wall and fans that you put in the comparative cost perspectives of divorce, burial (his or yours), long term care, etc.

Good luck,
    John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1st option is to use low-odour chemicals. Citric acid based stop baths are completely odorless and there are low-odour fixers on the market too. If you use a daylight tank for film, once the film is loaded in the dark, you can move to a room with a window you can open (but if you use low odour chemicals for B&W, you only really need ventilation for colour chemicals as they do tend to pong a bit..).

You can further reduce odour by not using trays for processing paper: either a Jobo type drum for colour paper or one of the vertical slot processors from Nova for B&W will reduce developer and colour chemical smells.

It may be possible to run the kind of flexible tube used to extract damp air from washing machine/driers to the nearest window; depends how far it is to the nearest window. Is there no existing ventilation in the basement? If there is, that can probably be adapted to take a fan with some plywood...

Good luck! Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Macy,

Where does the bathroom fan exhaust to? You may be able to "piggy back" on that. You may also just vent to the basement in general. I find the only chemistry that bothers me is RA-4 color developer. The b&w stuff (Dektol/Indicator Stop/Rapid Fixer/Hypo Clearing Agent) does not bother me.

Neal Wydra

Images
    Mix all powders outside of your little space. You don't want to breath the powders or the dust they leave. I don't find my liquid chemistry (B&W) very stinky. Just use water for stop bath --it's worked for me for 30 years. Leave the door open as much as possible.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aside from the need to ventilate to dilute the chemical fumes, you need fresh air to function. This is a doubly important consideration in a darkroom to which natural ventilation is restricted even further by attempts to make it light-tight. I use Jobo drums for all my processing because of skin allergies, they also have the benefit of reducing the amount of chemical let loose into the air, as well as reducing the amount required for processing. Importantly in this context they allow you to open the darkroom door whilst you are processing.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think a lot of what you want to do depends on a balance between what you're willing to put up with, and how creative you can be in finding solutions. My first darkroom was in what might generously be called a half bath - a toilet, a small sink, and enough room for the door to swing in and clear the toilet. It couldn't have been much more than 5'x5' or so in size.

I bought a (inexpensive) pre-fab waist-high cabinet and put casters on the bottom so I could move it into the "darkroom" when I wanted to work. A couple of L-brackets on the side of the cabinet allowed a piece of plywood to rest between them and the top of the toilet. That was my developing tray table - just enough room for three 11x14 trays.

Using RC paper, I could do five or six prints before the fixer and stop-bath fumes (and heat build-up during the summer) became objectionable. At that point, I'd take the prints in the holding tray (perched on the sink) to the kitchen for washing, and turn on a small fan located on the floor outside the room. The small fan would clear the fumes long before I had finished washing the batch of prints, and I was ready to go at it again. Not overly convenient, but it worked.

Oh, and don't worry. We won't tell your husband about your take-over plans.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First off, I wish to thank you all for responding.

I should have been more clear as to what I am intending to do in this darkroom. I am only intending to do B&W printing, and not colour. Also, I will not be developing my negatives in this room; I do that in my laundry room, which has ventilation. I also do not see myself developing more than one print at a time, or two at the most. I do plan on using water as my stop bath.

After putting the print in the fixer for a minute, I understand that I can then turn on the lights (as per this book I'm reading), and therefore can open the door and get fresh air. Bearing all this in mind, do you guys think that I still need to get an exhaust? I will check into whether I can piggy-back the bathroom exhaust.

Sorry for being so longwinded. I just am anxious to get going on printing!

Thanks again.

Edited tp add:

John, I just read the other thread where you posted stuff about Panasonic fans. I'll check that out. I'm thinking maybe I should target another room if possible to use as my darkroom. <sigh>
    Macy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A previous poster alleged that several famous photographers have died of diseases attributated to the absence of ventillation in their darkrooms. I'm not sure that I fully agree with that statment, but I do have a personal experience that counts.

My first darkroom was tiny and didn't have effective ventillation. Actually, it had ventillation but it was so noisy that I couldn't think so I never used it. Later I built a larger darkroom. Initially it also didn't have ventillation, but I later added an exhaust fan. I found that I didn't tire nearly as rapidly with ventillation as I did without.

It sounds like you won't spend hours in your darkroom with the door closed - the space constraints and lack of water mean that you will have to move in and out of the darkroom. That suggests that you may not need ventillation in your darkroom since you won't be in there for hours at a time.

But in general, ventillation is a good thing to have in a darkroom, and isn't hard to provide. First, you want positive pressurization - that is, you want a fan that blows air into the darkroom through an air filter, and where air then flows out on its own. That direction of flow minimizes the concerns for the ventillation bringing a lot of dust into the darkroom.

Second you want something that is quiet - computer muffin fans make great darkroom ventillators because they are totally silent. Given the size of your space, one fan should be adequate.

You want the ventillation to be light tight. I mounted my fan and air filter between a couple of floor joists outside the darkroom, and then ducted the air from the fan into the darkroom using a vinyl bathroom exhaust fan duct from Home Depot. I used the louver that was intended to be mounted outside the house to cover the air inlet inside the darkroom. And because I was able to duct this air several feet, I was able to incorporate a right turn in the duct that elminiates any light entry through tne ventillation system.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, I just spoke with my husband.

What about this - he said that he can build a ventilation system so that the air from the darkroom will flow to the basement are (just outside the door to the darkroom), and then just keep the windows open in the basement. Is that a viable solution for my purposes?
    Macy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin