Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,231   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cheap Print Washer

I've been wrestling with buying or making a print washer for some time, now that I'm printing more fiber based prints. I decided to make a 11x14 print washer out of what I could find in the local hardware stores. It ended up costing about $70 and works quite nicely. I used a 10gal fish tank, nylon threaded rod and hardware, and plastic corrugated sheets, (like plastic cardboard). The set up is quite sturdy. I set something on top, like a Pyrex plate, to hold the prints down. I stick my flexible shower head down on one side and let it spill out the top. See attached pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Print WasherPS.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mine is even cheaper, as I drilled a series of holes in the bottom of a 10” X 8” tray and a larger hole in the side, through which I put a hose. Thus there are rapid changes of water in a confined space.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I must say, wow. Just wow. It looks great!

I'm using a Kodak Tank and Tray Siphon and added a check-valve at the water wall to ease my conscience. It works for my small volume. But it uses more water than I would like.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was using the tray method for a while but I found that if I had a few or more prints I'd have to hover and keep them separated. I just wanted to start it and walk away an hour or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    '...shower head...' - That is your bathroom with the leather couch?!!! 8-)

Very similar to the Versalab in approach for keeping prints separate.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a five gallon bucket.

Drill some holes near the bottom. Stick the hose from your faucet into the bucket. Curve the prints into a letter "C" shape and stand them vertically. If the prints float to the top, put the lid on the bucket. Drill a hole in the lid for the hose to fit in.

You can put three or four 11x14 prints in the bucket or about a half dozen 8x10.
    If you want separators to keep the prints apart, you can make them out of plastic but I haven't found that to be necessary.

If you have a clean bucket in your garage, it won't cost you anything. If you don't have a bucket or one that's clean enough, buy them from Home Depot for just a few dollars.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    '...shower head...' - That is your bathroom with the leather couch?!!! 8-)

Very similar to the Versalab in approach for keeping prints separate.
    Ya and my living room has a tub in it!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Whichever route you take to washing your fibre prints, it is necessary to understand that a fast exchange of water is not necessarily the answer. I used to use (for a few prints) a tray with a hole for incoming water and some holes in the bottom. When I tested for residual hypo, I discovered that after two hours the prints were still not washed to archival standards.

Thankfully, Martin at Silverprint in London did the most in-depth study of the washing process that anyone has made. It is really a revelation and the washer that he subsequently designed works fantastically well. I bought the 16" x 12" version and my prints test clean after 1.5 hours (even when the water is cold).

You can read his two part article here:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=296

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...read.php?t=344

Whilst designing you own washing system on a small budget is attractive, I think the article demonstrates that this can be a false economy - especially if you live somewhere that has water meters.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sweet.

I'd probably add a siphon hose to drain water from the bottom from time to time just to make sure you're really getting a complete exchange of water and that there is no pooling in corners, at the bottom, etc.

I have "archival" washers, but find myself draining them, at least partially, in the middle of every wash cycle.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nicely done.

Neal Wyhdra

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin