Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,430   Online: 857

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Is my Time O Lite EZC 73 messed up?

I was given this timer and wondering if it's me or the timer. About 1/2 the time when I turn the second hand in the direction that says "set" it will run backwards. Basically continues to turn in the set direction. I can shut off the power with the switch and when turned back on it sometimes will continue in the wrong direction and sometimes go in the correct direction. Is there a hidden feature I am not aware of?

Looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TLEZC73.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	69220

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a small set screw, or maybe two, that make the red moving pointer attach to it's drive shaft.

The unit I used to use had the red pointer slip at some point in the past, so that it would point at like 59.5. Then sometimes there would be a dead bang when it timed out.

So there is some mechanical shut off issue around zero I had, that you have in some manner too.

I know this is not a solution, but I hope it feeds your problem solving process.

I sold mine after I discovered the joys of f/stop printing. I went to an electronic timer, because the trusty old time o lite did not have the precision I wanted.

The time o lite, with its auto reset of the preset printing time was a very nice step up from my old gralab 300 I started with though.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If the hands run backwards under power, it's likely an electrical problem rather than loose setscrews securing the hands to the coaxial shafts.

By using the search string, “electric clock running backwards” in Google we can find a number of references to various reasons why clocks that use AC motors sometimes run backwards. Such clocks are often observed randomly starting rotation one way or the other each time the current is applied. Here’s one explanation that might apply.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Electrica...-backwards.htm

http://www.designnews.com/messages.a...ayout=siteInfo (post #3 gives a good explanation of random direction starts)

According to these articles, reverse running AC clock motors can be caused by problems in the motor or due to the electrical supply in some cases.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks.. Think I'll just get another timer, seem to be pretty cheap these days...

Ned

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mine did that too. That particular series of timer wasn't Time O Lite's best (no where near the same quality as the M-72 or P-72).. If you remove the hands and open it up you'll see these two brass levers with thin, round rubber pads on them. It's been years but if you tweak the levers so that they press together more firmly I believe it corrected my issue.

I don't have the timer any longer (I had the 60 minute one) and it's been about five years.. The plastic mount that holds the mechanical assembly inside the case broke, i'd have to epoxy it every couple of months. Also the detents were very soft, tough to set. Gralab makes a better process timer. I still swear by the Time O Lite M72 for enlarging
    though, it's all I use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I might have read your post incorrectly.. you set the time with the hands and it counts down but keeps counting down from the top without starting? Or your timer actually counts up?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    So now I have 2 of the same model. Call me a glutton for punishment.

My first unit - Old, someone gave it to me for free. Issue is if I turn the second hand clockwise to set it it will sometimes continue to run in the clockwise direction which is backwards. Also, sometimes if I turn the switch to off, set the time and then turn the switch to the on position it will then start to run backwards. Sometime is will run correctly, it's hit or miss.

So I said, you know despite this I kinda like the timer... It's large, easy to set... So I found a new one of the same model on ebay.

My new unit - Same model number but a little bit different. The hour hand is bigger, the switches are either coated black or are plastic can't remember. But, being new it still has issues. When I set the second hand, there seems to be some momentum or something because when turned and I let go it will keep moving forward 5+ seconds down the dial so you really can't set it correctly. Worse about half the time when it counts down to zero IT WON'T stop! It continues past midnight and keeps going, never even sounding the buzzer. I do notice that when it reaches midnight the hand's seem to "bumb" like there is some internal stop that is worn down or something.

I don't think I will be buying another crap-o-lite very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    I might have read your post incorrectly.. you set the time with the hands and it counts down but keeps counting down from the top without starting? Or your timer actually counts up?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gralabs are much much better if you like a large analog timer.
    I'd take them apart if you can't return the new one.
    (it's not difficult and it goes back together easily, you need allen keys for the hands) Watch how it operates, it will make sense. You can watch the friction pads or stops or whatever while it's ticking. I would actually press/pull gently on some part of the mechanism and watch the hands keep counting. I've had the problem where it counts up on the second hand before as well, I was able to fix it pretty easily. Just a matter or tightening a screw on the hand or making the friction pads a bit tighter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Gralabs have a very nasty habit of causing your enlarger light to flicker and dim erratically as it counts down. Beware.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for that Tom, I was unaware of that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin