Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,348   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool. And useful. I thought they might be purpose-built. They looked it. Sounds like a small cottage-industy item just waiting for someone who is retired to perhaps pick up.

Reinhold? Are you by chance listening in?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Gerry Butler made them specifically for LF sheet development.
    Awesome. Is the interwebs amazing?

Thinking back, I must have gotten this in a large haul of darkroom equipment acquired early in the year. I'm such a pack rat that it's hard to remember from where all the junk comes.

So far the Butler Basket has been used for ortho sheets in D23 under a very dim safelight. I was a bit concerned about the evenness of development but can gladly report that it is far superior to steel hangers.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Very cool. And useful. I thought they might be purpose-built. They looked it. Sounds like a small cottage-industy item just waiting for someone who is retired to perhaps pick up.

Reinhold? Are you by chance listening in?
    Neat idea. If someone decides to market an item like this, perhaps he/she would consider designing a double-decker style where a second basket is inserted into the first basket to hold films an inch or so above the lower "level", making an 8-film capacity. Obviously, the developer volume would need to be increased. Another option would be to build it using acrylic sheet, glued together, lots of holes for developer to pass through, and "bumps" to minimize contact between film base and acrylic. Would have to be tested for flow patterns as well.
    Last edited by silveror0; 05-27-2013 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Another option would be to build it using acrylic sheet, glued together, lots of holes for developer to pass through, and "bumps" to minimize contact between film base and acrylic.
    Formulary Sheet Film Developing Trays

But I still think thin stainless steel wire baskets would be preferable.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Certainly less expensive and lighter than Formulary design, for sure.

Shooter
    Large Format
    BTW, would the films be washed and photoflo'd while in this basket, then hung to dry?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I worked for 11 newspapers, a huge international wire service, a buncha magazines and on and on for over 50 years and I never heard of a slosher tray. Some folks have a nasty habit of saying something like "I can't focus my "X39021" leaving folks who don't use that particular rare breed of camera in the dark without an enlarger.
    I've never worked at any of those places and I have been familiar with the "slosher" method since I started photography 20 years ago. But since you have never heard of it someone using what has become a pretty common term has a nasty habit?

That basket is a pretty sweet product.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW, would the films be washed and photoflo'd while in this basket, then hung to dry?
    Whatever works. I just move the entire slosher from developer tray to stop bath to fixer. I use a film washer now because I happened to pick one up for free, but before that I just moved the slosher to a wash tray and washed the film with a Kodak tray siphon same as you'd do with paper. That's one of the nice things about the slosher. You can do the entire process without handling the film. Takes more chemistry though.

There are lots of ways to make a slosher.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A link was provided with this information, as recommended by the designer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    A link was provided with this information, as recommended by the designer.
    So it does. Is my face red? I had read the entire link and had already forgotten what it said before asking the question. A form of retardation?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin