Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,858   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

DIY Slosher Tray

I found this thing at a garage sale and it makes a perfect slosher tray. Any idea what it is so I can find more?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.JPG  
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw that exact thing offered on eBay a while back. The description said the seller didn't know what it was. I just assumed it was a purpose-made darkroom item. I forgot to bid on it. Would have only been a couple of dollars. I've never seen another, but like you I'd like to...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's not specifically for photography, could it be for basting or marinating?
    Truzi

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is a "slosher-tray"? The dictionary at hand does not know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgX: It is the common term for a sheet film insert for a developing tray that keeps sheets separated. It allows you to tray develop multiple sheets without manual handling (shuffling) - although obviously not as many sheets at the same time. It is also very useful for applying intermittent and/or reduced agitation techniques to sheet film development.

Although I'm not certain of this, I believe John Sexton may have coined the term. At least that was they guy I first heard use the word.

Shooter
    35mm
    that definitely look like some "skilled" or "trendy" cooking tool, imho. never seen one before, i must say...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Is the tray made of Pyrex or simular oven cookware? Looks like a device to bake custard in the oven. Just my two cents, Steven

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just for clarification, the item referred to is made of stainless wire. (My best guess was that it was a stationery sorter.) The white tray is a standard darkroom tray.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It is a slosher tray made of stainless wire. I have three of these for various sizes of film.
    I call them "baskets" since they are not really trays.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerry Butler made them specifically for LF sheet development. I would not classify these as DIY, rather DIH (did it himself). He bent the SS wire around forms and soldered them in sizes from 4x5 to 11x14, until his hands became too arthritic. He was already retired when I bought mine (2 – 5x7) out of his remaining stock 10 years ago.

Congratulations on the find, they are the best of the slosher–basket designs.

BTW, when using pyro developers (possibly others as well), you should be using a developing tray one size larger than the basket and not skimp on developer, for even results.
    Last edited by ROL; 05-25-2013 at 06:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin