Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,545   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just run the shower on full hot for a few minutes with the windows and doors closed while the Fixer is in. Then I turn the shower off while I rinse the film and hang it up. Haven't had a problem with dust yet...

(although, given the price of water in the driest state in the driest continent, one of those bags would probably be cheaper for me in the long run)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Zippered clear vinyl garment wardrobe bags can be hung from rods and hooks anywhere. Cheap, available at home stores, and portable. Some have permeable linen-type bottoms to allow restricted air flow. I still use mine for roll film inside my lab, although I dry sheet film in the open.
    Intersting. I have never seen them.
    But they are too short to accept type 135. It would have to be hung in a loop, what would not be that of a problem, but wiping off would have to take place outside that cabinet.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are made in a variety of sizes. One of mine, suit length, is long enough for 135, though I no longer use it (or 135). I don't "wipe" film, roll or otherwise, inside or out of drying cabinet. PhotoFlo and that's it (distilled water rinse only for sheet). If you don't want to loop a roll, cut it and hang the sections. That will have to be done eventually anyway, unless you're processing movie film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastic garment bag here too.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do something similar to the garment bag thing. It was Les McClean who wrote about it somewhere. You basically have a wooden base about 30cm square and a similarly sized frame at the top which has hanging points for the films. Then you basically just have a long material "bag" which seals at the front with velcro. Works great and takes up hardly any sapecw hen packed away.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll be the contrarian here. I think I know why every suggestion here works.

Dust doesn't stick to film as it dries. It drains off with the sheet of water.

I hang my film without benefit of any protection after dipping in a solution of PhotoFlo and filtered water.

My darkroom in the garage is "infested" with dust. When the sun comes in late afternoon I can see the dancing particles. Yet my dry negatives look clean and rarely have any significant dust issues when I print.
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 05-28-2013 at 11:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    ^ this. I live in Houston, so I have the benefit of humidity keeping the dust down, but I live in a 118-year-old house and I don't have trouble with dust using the same system. If you can get the water off the emulsion quickly (what Photo Flo is for), there's not as much for dust to stick to.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I do something similar to the garment bag thing. It was Les McClean who wrote about it somewhere. You basically have a wooden base about 30cm square and a similarly sized frame at the top which has hanging points for the films. Then you basically just have a long material "bag" which seals at the front with velcro. Works great and takes up hardly any sapecw hen packed away.
    That is actually the system the Jobo Mistral uses, though added by a heated Ventilator at the top.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In the shower.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was going to say 'the outside cloths line over the kids sandpit near the town's saw mill' but that would just be silly now.

+1 for in the shower. I have a bit of fishing line attached to some suction cups so I can hang them in the cubicle. Try and get that room nice and steamy before you hang and you will be trouble free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin