Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,035   Online: 877

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

dust cabinet for film, I dont have one

for those of us who cannot afford, not feasible to get one of those cabinets where you dry film dust free, what do people use out there to minimize the possibility of dust settling on wet film while it is drying in the bathroom.
    Any ideas I can put to use. ?

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep a small air cleaner running in my dark room, havent had any problems with dust since installation.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dry in a shower with the curtain or door closed.

Before you put the film in there, wet the shower down lightly to help minimize dust.

Higher humidity helps too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cover ac ducts with a filter. There are foam filters that can be cut to size.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zippered clear vinyl garment wardrobe bags can be hung from rods and hooks anywhere. Cheap, available at home stores, and portable. Some have permeable linen-type bottoms to allow restricted air flow. I still use mine for roll film inside my lab, although I dry sheet film in the open.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My darkroom is quite clean so I generally just use a string of nylon line suspended over the sink with clothespins. But I do have a homemade
    drying cabinet too. I used melamine-coated shower enclosure board and matching alum moulding, put a small residential room air cleaner at one
    end, and a permanent-style cone coffee filter at the opposite air intake end. It runs quiet and clean. A short monofilament clothesline is inside.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have an electrostatic air purifier in the darkroom, and a row of clothes pins over the sink. I haven't had a problem with dust getting on the negatives after processing.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ROL's recommendation works very well and is dirt cheap.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll echo the garment bag idea.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...i checked out the vinyl idea and didn't like the idea of potentially sticking, but if it works, go for it. It's the easiest and cheapest way. I built mine out of plywood, drilled some holes for metal rods with normal clothes hangers and put hinges and a hook lock on it. It cost about $50 and did the trick. Then a year later I found someone about 60km away selling a pro-lab for a price I couldn't pass up and it came with a dryer cabinet. He even drove it all to my house without advanced payment. It's worth checking kijiji/craigslist to see what's being given away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin