Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Using Expert Drums without the processor

I have been using Jobo Expert Drums for 8x10 and 5x7, and I just got another for 4x5. I don't have a processor so I have simply been rolling the drum back and forth in my darkroom sink (which is empty). I have been thinking that for longer development times in particular, the temperature of the developer could change more than I would like. I tried letting the drum float in a water bath, but it seems to take on a bit of water, not in the development tubes but in the drum itself, through slits in the bottom. I have never used an Expert Drum with a processor but I am assuming this has some purpose. In any case, it makes rolling the drum a little wonky. Also, water could easily leak in the top, so this method clearly is not going to work.

Have any of you had similar questions about using the drum without the processor? How do you use your Expert Drum?

Should we call ourselves, collectively, the Drum Corps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use mine on an ilford rotary base. The reason for the slits at the bottom is so a water tempering bath will be around the individual film tubes to maintain a more consistent temperature. My 3010 is actually missing the base completely which doesn't matter in the slightest for normal use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you would like to build one a simple plank/plywood piece with four cabinet/chair(~1 1/2") rollers installed would allow you to roll it on a counter top.

Rollers facing up please. :P
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is more to it than that. Look at the base of the expert drum and you will see that it has holes in it. They are there so that the tempering water in the Jobo tank gets inside and circulates around the cylinders into which the film and paper are placed. This makes them very heavy, and you need to drain them before you take them out of the Jobo tank. Or you must replace the lost tempering water.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you would like to build one a simple plank/plywood piece with four cabinet/chair(~1 1/2") rollers installed would allow you to roll it on a counter top.

Rollers facing up please. :P
    John, have you done this? Would you have a pic?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There is more to it than that. Look at the base of the expert drum and you will see that it has holes in it. They are there so that the tempering water in the Jobo tank gets inside and circulates around the cylinders into which the film and paper are placed. This makes them very heavy, and you need to drain them before you take them out of the Jobo tank. Or you must replace the lost tempering water.

PE
    Thanks for this reply. Here is another question. As I said, I have been hand rolling with worrying too much about temperature, other than to make sure that my developer is spot on before pouring it in. I have been assuming that the temperature of the developer in the drum will not change too much over the course of processing. But recently I have been using longer developing times and I am pretty sure the temperature of the developer in the drum will rise of fall slightly. Has anyone tried to use the drum on a roller base in a water bath? I am guess it would have to be pretty shallow so the drum won't float. I wonder if, with a roller base, I could get at least some of the water bath to trickle into the drum to circulate around the cylinders.

I hope these question are not too weird. I love using the drums but I just can't afford a CPA or CPP processor.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I run my 3005's on a Beseler motor base...with auto reversing disengaged. I pick up and manually reverse the drum every minute.

If you have a steady ambient temp, then for your longer development times, you might raise the developer temp a little and assume that the temp drop will be consistent. Results should be repeatable.

Method #2 -- always develop at room temperature, adjusting the time for warmer/colder days (or keep the room at a constant temp).
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    Thanks for this reply. Here is another question. As I said, I have been hand rolling with worrying too much about temperature, other than to make sure that my developer is spot on before pouring it in. I have been assuming that the temperature of the developer in the drum will not change too much over the course of processing. But recently I have been using longer developing times and I am pretty sure the temperature of the developer in the drum will rise of fall slightly. Has anyone tried to use the drum on a roller base in a water bath? I am guess it would have to be pretty shallow so the drum won't float. I wonder if, with a roller base, I could get at least some of the water bath to trickle into the drum to circulate around the cylinders.

I hope these question are not too weird. I love using the drums but I just can't afford a CPA or CPP processor.
    Just for fun, Fill a container with water at the temerature you desire, put a thermometer in it and watch it fo a while to see how much it actually changes..could be a surprise..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doc, there is a thread here, probably a sticky, in which someone tested a 100F process both with and without a prewet with water at 100F. He noted the drop in temperature as described above. I think the poster was Greg Davis.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just developed a few test sheets for 8 minutes. The temperature in the darkroom was about 19C/66F. The developer was exactly 20C/68F when I started and it was around 22C/72F when I dumped it! I was not expecting it to go up.

The temperature in my darkroom changes quite a bit seasonally so I guess I am going to have to come up with some kind of temperature control solution. I see a lot of plywood and epoxy in my future since I do not have the do-re-mi for a CPA or CPP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin