Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 974

Shooter
    Medium Format

Max contrast with LPL colour head

Last night was my first night in a darkroom for 13 years. Just proofed some negs and did a couple of enlargements onto RC, just getting back into the saddle really. For the first time I purchased a set of Ilford MC filters to use for burning in shadow areas. One print, of a forest on a foggy day, still didn't have enough contrast with 170M (the max filtration on my enlarger) So I printed through MC filters as an experiment and found that 170M on the LPL matched the grade 4 filter. I was surprised with this as I always thought colour heads went a bit higher in contrast than this.

mark
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This has been my experience also with Magenta Yellow systems. I get stronger contrast with my blue green enlarger.
    I have never looked at the other end of things. I wonder if 00 is off on colour heads?
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to make sure that at the M 170cc setting the magenta is completely covering the orifice and the yellow is completely out of the way at Y 0cc setting.

A while back I tested all 4 of my color heads against a #5 Ilford filter and all 5 were nearly the same (as near as one could tell with a 21 step wedge).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you have a look through the Ilford literature, there is a PDF on basic printing. In this PDF, there is a table of what contrast you should achieve from a colour head. Without looking at the document now, I am pretty sure it suggests around grade 4.5 for an LPL. Obviously, there is going to be some variation, so to me, 4 is not too far off the mark.

EDIT - this is the document I was thinking of
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629187211322.pdf

According to this, 4 1/2 is around 140M. 170 wouldn't get you 5, though

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin