Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,163   Online: 971

Shooter
    Multi Format

Different enlargers for different types of photos

Hi all,

Recently I started to use focomat V35, before I was using meopta axomat and magnifax with el nikkor lenses (50mm 2.8 and 75mm f4).

Focomat with focotar on same fixed grade 2 paper gives much lower contrast with more details. For prints of people I like it, but for prints of architecture not so much, somehow el nikkor gives more pleasing results to my eye. Other users of focomat v35: did you had same "problem", maybe it takes some time to get used to it?

I don't have multigrade papers, I have a big stash of Fotokemika emaks grade 2 papers.

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Hi all,

Recently I started to use focomat V35, before I was using meopta axomat and magnifax with el nikkor lenses (50mm 2.8 and 75mm f4).

Focomat with focotar on same fixed grade 2 paper gives much lower contrast with more details. For prints of people I like it, but for prints of architecture not so much, somehow el nikkor gives more pleasing results to my eye. Other users of focomat v35: did you had same "problem", maybe it takes some time to get used to it?

I don't have multigrade papers, I have a big stash of Fotokemika emaks grade 2 papers.

thanks,
    A valid reason to have more than one enlarger or to maintain different types of light sources on the same head.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could put your Nikon lens on the V35 to see what difference it makes. I suspect that the lower contrast may, however, be due to the type of light source in the V35. I found it difficult to unscrew the Focotar, but it does come off and has the normal 39mm? thread. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    You could put your Nikon lens on the V35 to see what difference it makes. I suspect that the lower contrast may, however, be due to the type of light source in the V35. I found it difficult to unscrew the Focotar, but it does come off and has the normal 39mm? thread. Alex
    Yes, it is 39mm and it comes off, but bigger difference makes type of light source.

Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Sounds a bit like you're hunting for gold by going through your old sock drawers. Perhaps it would be a lot easier if you thought about modifying a single enlarger or using a different grade of paper once in a while. Different developers and development time will give you different results, too.
    Yes, one part of me agrees with you about hunting , that is why I opened this thread to share thoughts and listen for opinions. Tip about developers: I did not think about this, but now I see it can be useful, right now I use ECO 4812 from Wolfgang Moersch, and he says:

The normal dilution is 1+14.
    Development time: 2½ - 3 minutes
    If you use the same exposure times in a dilution of 1+10 and develop for only 2 minutes, the contrast will increase.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To use your Focomat V35 successfully, you need to expose and develop your film to suit this type of enlarger and light source. If you work on this you will find printing with no filtration and simplicity of use will give you exactly what you are looking for.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin