Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,734   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But the old reels fit only loose on the new collumns, so they may not rotate correctly in the 1500 System when doing rotational processing.
    Interesting, my old clear reels work perfectly on the new(er) 1500 system tank. I don't rotate so I don't care anyway, but just sayin'.
    //edit: I just double-checked (Used my 1500 for the first time today): There are SOME old reels with a tight fit on the 1500 column and some which are loose as you explained...

I have several of the older and newer reels. I find the old, clear ones vastly superior to the new opaque versions and almost exclusively use the old reels. The reason being the larger film guides of the older versions which make finding/feeling for the starting point so much easier in the dark and the film can't "jump" out of the larger guiding area - something which can happen (and has happened to me on occasion) very easily with the new reels, especially when using PET-based films which have a higher resistance.
    Last edited by moviemaniac; 11-03-2013 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both styles but prefer using the newer ones, I also had the core of a Paterson 2 Reel tank reduced to allow the reels to fit, as if I am doing semi-stand processing I prefer using the Paterson Super System $ tank as it sits nicely in the hole in my TBE.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another aspect is the change of materials.
    With a report on static discharge between film and reel on a Paterson reel in mind this could be an issue with Jobo reels too, and than there might be a difference between old and new type reels.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as the different materials, the Clear reels may be more subject to cracking, although the only clear jobo that I have broken is the top part of the dedicated reel in my "Jobo-Triumf 35-16" tank. (that particular tank can be adjusted to do 1 roll of 35 or one roll of 16mm/110 size film.) I do have a couple of the newer style where the center has broken off the tab that locks the two halves together.

One Very Important mechnical difference is that the older style reels can be set for 127 Size films, but the newer ones are only good for 120 or 35mm
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin