Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,054   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo reels: old style versus new style

Fitting those smaller tanks (the late type 1000 and the current series 1500) Jobo made two versions of reels:

the old style .................................. the new style

-) clear reels .................................. -) white opaque reel

-) stiff plastic .................................. -) rather flexible plastic

-) reel and hub cemented ................. -) reel and hub one moulding

-) reels with wedge-like barbs ........... -) reels with plain groves

-) reels with fins at the openings ....... -) plain openings

Those with lot of experience with both styles and in 35 and 61mm:

Are there practical differences in use? Which one do you prefer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the old style in a 1000 tank. Once you get the hang on how to ratchet and work your thumbs and fingers, it goes in easy. I did have a newer jobo system once and wish I had never sold it.
    They work fine once you get used to them.
    Every now and then I use a metal tank just to keep in practice with that system.
    All in all, I prefer the patterson system with the metal ball bearing though.

Richard

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found that "manual" ratchet system most intuitive from the beginning. But in this both, old and new reel, do not differ.
    Though concerning feel I'm more attracted io the older style reel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my Jobo 1000 tank (5x35mm) some years ago when I was processing transparency film. The clear reels needed less reversal exposure time. I probably did more hand processing in that tank once I had it since it used a little less chemistry (260ml per 35mm reel than the Paterson 290ml). These days it is under utilized as I use a Jobo. The white reels bounce better (proven by empirical testing).

Either work for me.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I like to push 35mm onto my Jobo reels. I find it is much faster. The old ones (clear) aren't easy to do that with for whatever reason. The white reels work like a charm. For 120 that extra lip on the old reels makes it easier to load. That is my 2¢.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    James, the old style reels have got those wedge-like barbs. Those should cause the resistance you encounter.

Shooter
    35mm
    I also find that I can just push 35mm film into the White Jobo reels about 6-8 inches at a time. Since there are no ratchet barbs, it is possible to ease the film out slightly if the end gets caught.

I am still not 100% on the interchange but find I can sometimes mix the two series in the same tank. (I typically run 5 35mm films at once.)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    I got one old style and I feel that is easier to load film with it, than the new type. I use it together with a new type on a 1500 series tank for color and E6 dev. I learn to develop in one of the old style reels and tank. And I still have a old 4000 series (I think, that's the number) with 3 reels, but they are larger. Use it for when developing 3 120 films.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

a important difference

Both new and old reels have tabs that rest on the collumn.
    Both reels fit stuck to the old columm.

But the old reels fit only loose on the new collumns, so they may not rotate correctly in the 1500 System when doing rotational processing.
    The most simple solution would be to wind self-adhesive tape around the new collumn. Thus enabling to use old and new reels in the 1500 series tanks with tight fit.

Using the old reels in the System 1500 with inverting processing will make them slide when used in a longer tank without further securing them. But that should not be a problem as they will fall back to the bottom.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-23-2013 at 12:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use the System 1000 you can stick each reel together in a way that both flanges lie next to each other. If you take off that extra, white clamp you can place both reel pairs on the column that there still will be some space in the tank, which might be useful on travelling.

The System 1500 reels cannot be put together flange to flange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin