Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,324   Online: 937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlarging Easel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a 8x10 Speed-Ez-El easel with a rubylith mask.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Use a 8x10 Speed-Ez-El easel with a rubylith mask.
    Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask where can we find rubylith? I've been to all my local art stores and they all carry "amberlith" but no rubylith to be found.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    This is the only kind of easel I have, and I like them very much.
    Mine are made from black core double mat board. The only thing I don't like is that if I'm very close to printing the full frame, it can be hard to see if the edges are all excluded because the image is harder to see on black. It's not really a big problem, you just have to be careful.
    If the bottom mat board is a non-actinic color such as orange, the image will still be plainly visible. There should be no light reflected back from the bottom board to degrade the image. Some older easels were white, and this could cause some fogging in the shadows, especially with thin paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Which reminds me, I've been meaning to ask where can we find rubylith? I've been to all my local art stores and they all carry "amberlith" but no rubylith to be found.
    Ned,

You can find Rubylith on ebay. But, since you're in Sonoma, you can also get it at the Art Blick store in Oakland. They carry it because a nearby art class uses it.

Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Taylor View Post
    Ned,
    You can find Rubylith on ebay. But, since you're in Sonoma, you can also get it at the Art Blick store in Oakland. They carry it because a nearby art class uses it.
    Thomas
    Perfect, thank you! I work in Oakland and am down that way about once a week!

And thanks Jim that's a good idea, I'll keep my eyes open for orange or yellow. I cut the window with a mat cutter and it's the edge of the image on the bevel that would be most helpful to see, so in my case it will be the top mat. ( Not sure my post was clear... I've been using black-core flat black mat board. )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin