Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,179   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging Easel

Shooter
    Medium Format

Enlarging Easel

hi my friends, i'm looking for an high quality easel with a fixed size for 7,5" x7,5".
    I want to use my standard paper 8x10 and want to cover the rest of the paper completely during the exposure.

maybe you can help me

best michael

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    There was a german easel called versamask but production has been stopped. Basically it was a base plate with register pins and a fixed metal mask on top. Maybe you can get a used one or something similar custom made.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If I needed to make 7.5x7.5 prints on 8x10 paper, I'd use an 8x10 Speed-Ez-El easel with an improvised mask registered to precisely rest on top of it. The same idea could probably be applied to many other easels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take 2 pieces of mat board cut to 8x10, on 1 cut out your 7.5 x 7.5 in the center of one board. Hinge the 2 boards together on one long side with tape. Slide the print paper between the 2 boards. Shoot your image. No need for expensive easel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an adjustable easel for everything, and have found the ones made by Saunders to be pretty good. But they are probably too expensive for what you're looking for.

Jim Jones' idea above sounds very simple and agreeable.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use a 4 blade adjustable 11 x 14 easel like the Saunders version.

Adjust the movable arms to give you the 7.5" x 7.5" window that you seek.

Tape mat board or something similar to the movable arms in order to ensure that light is blocked in the area outside the arms.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Tape mat board or something similar to the movable arms in order to ensure that light is blocked in the area outside the arms.
    Or use a mask at the enlarger stage, which gives less stray light. I doubt it matters much, but it is a second option. Some enlargers even have masks built into the enlarger head, like the Leitz V35.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Marks View Post
    Take 2 pieces of mat board cut to 8x10, on 1 cut out your 7.5 x 7.5 in the center of one board. Hinge the 2 boards together on one long side with tape. Slide the print paper between the 2 boards. Shoot your image. No need for expensive easel.
    This is the only kind of easel I have, and I like them very much.
    Mine are made from black core double mat board. The only thing I don't like is that if I'm very close to printing the full frame, it can be hard to see if the edges are all excluded because the image is harder to see on black. It's not really a big problem, you just have to be careful.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Look at Beard Easels. I have seen nothing better.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Not to Hijack this thread but I have about 10 Saunders Easels various size that I need some refurbish work done. Who does this kind of work ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin