Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,389   Online: 980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Couple of questions regarding Focomat V35

Hi all,

recently bulb burnt out in my Focomat V35. It was Osram bulb. So I ordered original Philips from replacementlightbulbs.com because I have read that is much better and brighter. And it is, incomparable.

My questions are:

1) Is there another alternative beside Osram, because Philips will be gone from stock soon, and also 2 bulbs with shipping and custom I paid almost as Focomat itself?

2) I hear sometimes some noise from 220v/12v transformer, I have opened and all looks good. Anybody had this? Something can be done?

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once upon a time there was a conversion kit for the lamp in these.
    It replaced the socket and I think, the lamp retainer.
    You're going to have to search the net for specifics on it, because I surely don't remember(changed one once).
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

I will search for it, thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A transformer buzz is generally to be considered acceptable. Simply means the lacquer between the laminates is getting brittle. At some point beyond most of out lifetimes, the core laminates will all go short, and the transformer will overheat . But it's on for such a short time anyway, I'd give it no further thought. Wait for E von Hoegh to chime in on the thread. If he refutes me, I stand corrected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Tom, good to know that it is acceptable.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try replacing just the light-bulb part and re-using the reflector, as was done by the photographer on this link . . .

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...-bulb-fix.html

I always read that the original bulbs (Philips 6604) were out of production decades ago, and that the more recent one (Philips 13139, having a different mount to the 6604) is also now out of production but can still occasionally be found. The Osram has very different specs for the reflector so is rather sub-optimal. A couple of years ago I found a machined aluminium adapter to take the 'new' bulb in the 'old' style of enlarger and, although that was expensive at the time, it does work - if you can find the bulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most V35s seem to have been converted at some point, and I suspect the OP's current lamp is the Phillips 13139. You can still find them for sale, but they are becoming expensive. I haven't yet considered what to use when they finally run out. I would hate to think that my V35 would become useless. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    Most V35s seem to have been converted at some point, and I suspect the OP's current lamp is the Phillips 13139. You can still find them for sale, but they are becoming expensive. I haven't yet considered what to use when they finally run out. I would hate to think that my V35 would become useless. Alex
    Yes, it is Philips 13139. Your (ours) focomats will not be useless - just you will expose 2-3 minutes instead of 20s with Osram bulb. That is why I am wondering is there a third option.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will keep my eyes and ears open for a solution! Alex.

Shooter
    35mm
    The solution is in the link I posted above. No-one follows links here?! :o)

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...-bulb-fix.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin