Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,763   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you tested to see if it is actually "safe"? I'd just want one for VC paper.
    It is said that we remember the important things, if true, why photograph? I forget, so I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    How can a single clock used by several darkroom workers at the same time?
    For timing paper you just look at where the second hand (or LED dot ) is and go from there. Since no resetting is needed any number of people can use it.
    Timing film processes could work the same way, but the clock may need to be covered during film loading.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I realize that this was a quite stupid question.
    I'm back to kindergarten...

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic View Post

It's perfectly suited for darkroom work. A big clearly visible wallclock (30 cm). All safe red leds, and it counts the seconds. Ideal for developing films, in group darkrooms and even in a smaller darkroom.
    Cool clock. How exactly is it "safe"? Dimmest setting? Distance from workstations? Have you tested it? I don't see anywhere else that it is claimed to be safe for paper or film. Inquiring minds want to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Big Ben for my darkroom clock!

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    @ROL

Since I just received the clock, I haven't had time to test it yet. But the light sensibility of VC papers doesn't expand beyond 580 nm. Red leds have a very narrow spectral band above 610 nm. My experience confirms this. I have several darkroom lights based on red LEDS. Even cheap bicycle taillights. In practical use they are all absolutely problem free. So I'm confident that testing the clock will give similar results.

The old style red incandescent light bulbs were much more dangerous since they only were painted full spectrum lamps. But even with those lamps I couldn't detect any problems up to 10 minutes exposure in my darkroom. Ofcourse you should respect minimum distance, and have an absolutely lighttight darkroom.
    Last edited by argentic; 06-19-2013 at 10:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    For timing paper you just look at where the second hand (or LED dot ) is and go from there. Since no resetting is needed any number of people can use it.
    Timing film processes could work the same way, but the clock may need to be covered during film loading.
    So what is the advantage of this over a conventional clock with a second hand?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Can you guys stop making me spend money?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Time-O-Lite for enlarging, a Gralab for developing, and when I need to watch something and still time it (say dodging & burning a print) I use this in conjunction with a radio reciever - http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwv.cfm Somtimes during the day propogation is wierd and I use this, again with the reciever.
    http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/servic...hort_wave.html . One or the other, often both, are recievable for me 24/7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    So what is the advantage of this over a conventional clock with a second hand?
    It is really easy to see.

I once bought a clock with a second hand for use in a darkroom. I then discovered that, when illuminated by a red safelight, a red second hand is almost invisible against a white background.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin