Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,779   Online: 1025

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Film on reels end of film touching

Many times after I roll film onto the reel the end of the film won't always sit in the slot and it touches the film below it. Since it is not touching the emulsionside, is this a problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    NO

The only case where there might be a problem would be in processing a film with a remjet backing.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sure, it could be a problem because immersing the film in a tank provides processing and fixing to both sides of the film. Film touching film in the tank leads to not being able to process that part it's in contact with thus leaving a mark on the image.

What kind of reels are you using? Maybe trimming off the end a little shorter might help to leave less curl on the end that wraps the cassette spool. OR, have you tried pre-soaking your film to soften the curl? A bigger reel perhaps? Are you loading your own film and making the rolls perhaps a bit too long? These things might help you solve the problem.
    Take it light.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A tiny bit hasn't mattered to me, but there are usually no images at the very ends of the film. However, once I did have quite a bit of overlap. It turns out the stainless reel I was using couldn't handle 36 exposures. Luckily there were no problems on that roll, but I have been very careful since then make sure I'm using a reel that can accommodate the length of film.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    As a matter of pride I will always use stainless steel reels but they can be a bitch to load sometimes, nothing like finding out in the middle of the roll the film was touching and see the under developed splotches covering the best images on the roll.
    But touching at the end as never been a problem for me, as long as roll wasn't too long to begin. Sometimes I will cut off the very end to try and eliminate the end curl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think about how you load the reel. The leader always goes in first. The tail is the part of the film wrapped with the tightest radius around the spool. The more the film has relaxed into this curl through time and temperature, the worse it will be. Since you know that no images will be within an inch of the tail cutoff, you can massage your fingers over the film while bending it against the curl over a dowel rod. Or you can pull the entire strip off the spool and feed it in tail first. That works best with SS spools, but tends to make plastic spools jam on feeding.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks for the replys. Several things let up to my reel choice but the primary one was I bought a Senrac film dryer and the plastic Jobo reels wont fit into it. I attached a metal oven vent to the end of the dryer to accommodate the larger reels, but I think the air flow was changed and or plastic reels just
    don't dry well.

I am using Hewes SS reels for Jobo 1500 tanks. The end of the film strip that has the cut off leader is the end in question and would be touching part of the film with images.

BTW I got good loading the plastic but didn't practice long enough and ruined my first roll. Got real sweaty in the changing bag

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a $500 film drier (I got it used) that may be the sma e as yours--it blows filtered air thru a tube, and the-SS-reels are at the end of that tube. Nope, it won't take plastic reels. I have never had a problem w/a inch or so fo film sticking out of the reel, either w/SS or plastic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Hewes SS reels but not for the Jobo tanks. With my reels, end of film does NOT touch the layer below it. Are your reels in good condition? Has it been dropped at all?

I recall, with cheaper reels I used to have, it did happen because the distance between two sides weren't even and when I let go of the film after winding it in, it'll snap back a bit and jumps the track.

If end of the film is touching the layer below it, by itself, it isn't a problem. BUT, as you agitate/rotate the drum, more of it may come unwound and that may be a problem. THAT did happen to me few times with cheaper reels. That's why I only use Hewes now.
    Last edited by tkamiya; 06-22-2013 at 09:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Only sometimes will the end touch. I think it is because it's just more flexible on the end. The reels are brand new.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin