Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,554   Online: 947
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Truzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,245

    Stainless Hewes reel question

    I don't mean to start yet another thread on this, but my question is very pointed and I could not find the specific info. I've read enough threads, and used different brands, and just need a tiny piece of information. I am NOT asking for opinions on what is best.

    Are Hewes stainless reels pretty much the same, or do they have different models?

    Most of my darkroom equipment is used, and while it works, I'm at a point where I want to purchase new (when my car allows me, as repairs are tapping me out at the moment). I've decided on Hewes stainless reels.
    We've no shops that sell these items locally, so I'll have to buy online, which means I can't hold it and make sure it is what I want. Pictures don't always show the right angle, and can be stock images that don't always reflect the product sold.

    I like how the 220 reel holds the film with a clip, but the 120 appears to have a spring (from photos I've seen). Is it as good/easy as the 220 in this respect?
    I like how the 35mm reel holds the film by the perfs, are all new Hewes of this design, or is it a specific model?

    Basically, I want to make sure I buy what I intend.
    Truzi

  2. #2
    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,100
    i think the springs and clips are reels by different manufacturers - i have both types (also both types of 220 reel) but I prefer the springs personally. No idea who makes which brands though...

  3. #3
    Ross Chambers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Blue Mountains NSW Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    703
    My Hewes 120 have the spring but I find it easier to ignore it as it seems difficult to attach the film straight. Hard to explain but positioning the film end in the centre and wrapping it on works fine. The pins for the perfs on the 35mm reels are great, by definition the perfs hold the film square.

  4. #4
    mooseontheloose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kyoto, Japan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,772
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    My Hewes 120 have the spring but I find it easier to ignore it as it seems difficult to attach the film straight. Hard to explain but positioning the film end in the centre and wrapping it on works fine. The pins for the perfs on the 35mm reels are great, by definition the perfs hold the film square.
    What he said. Spring for 120, pins for perfs on 35mm. I use both, and unless I'm having a really bad day with the film, I always use the spring for 120 and it goes on great.
    Rachelle

    My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mundelein, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,042
    Images
    1
    And to answer the original question: new, used, doesn't matter, the Hewes design hasn't changed, and they only have one model of each size. And while it's always possible to buy a used reel that's been dropped and bent, that's much much rarer with Hewes, because their spiral wires are *massive* compared to everyone else's. (Which is why they stack up a little taller in the tanks, meaning you have to choose your multiple-reel tanks carefully or you won't be able to get the cap on.)

    Duncan

  6. #6
    Aron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    252
    For 35 mm I couldn't imagine using anything but the Hewes reels, but for 120 for me the winner is the design used by Kindermann: a spring clip that grabs hard or punctures the film right in the middle. Before getting a second-hand Kindermann reel I sometimes had problems with my Hewes for 120, not anymore.

    It's still usually easy to load a normal Hewes reel for 120, however.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    154
    Images
    19
    They actually have more than one model for each size. The have a version for Jobo tanks with a one inch center core.

    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    And to answer the original question: new, used, doesn't matter, the Hewes design hasn't changed, and they only have one model of each size. And while it's always possible to buy a used reel that's been dropped and bent, that's much much rarer with Hewes, because their spiral wires are *massive* compared to everyone else's. (Which is why they stack up a little taller in the tanks, meaning you have to choose your multiple-reel tanks carefully or you won't be able to get the cap on.)

    Duncan


    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    279
    As with Ross, I NEVER use the spring clip in any of my reels. For me it creates more problems than it solves. I learned that you HAVE TO clip the film in center. If you are off-center just a bit, the film won't roll properly and may/will kink. And you have to be careful to not push too much film under the clip or it will not roll well. So I just slip the end of the film into the center of the reel and start winding.

  9. #9
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,918
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    As with Ross, I NEVER use the spring clip in any of my reels. For me it creates more problems than it solves. I learned that you HAVE TO clip the film in center. If you are off-center just a bit, the film won't roll properly and may/will kink. And you have to be careful to not push too much film under the clip or it will not roll well. So I just slip the end of the film into the center of the reel and start winding.
    I agree with this, with one qualification.

    Don't try to use rotary processing if you don't clip the end of the 120 roll. Otherwise, the film tends to walk itself out of the reel.

    Photograph of my homemade rotary processor setup attached:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails develop.jpg  
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    279
    Matt
    That is cool.
    But I can't do that easily with my all SS Nikor tanks. While I normally tape the cover to the tank, just in case, I don't do similar to the small cap, and that is a leak point. The Nikor tanks were not made to be kept on the side w/o leaking.

    I wonder if someone sells plastic tank covers that will fit onto a Nikor tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin