Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,835   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Combi/Yankee tank madness!?

Do the combi and/or yankee agitanks, for the several formats of sheet film, worth paying such prices as 92 euros or more for them?
    I see a lot of demand or pursuit for this kind of tanks and prices on ebays normally go above 70 euros. I know that both tanks are not manufactured any more,but even so, are they so good?
    I trying to get one to see if processing 4x5 with one is better thant with MOD54 and in europe is not very common to see one on ebay. Last week I spoted one combi and two yankee, all went for above 75 euros in price.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I don't know about value compared to other methods, but my combi leaves me wanting for nothing but more handles to lock the film down. Might be a good project for a 3D printing service.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I picked up a spare Combiplan kit for 45 euros last week - To my mind, a single tank for daylight processing is a pain in the backside. The holders can be fiddly to load, the tank takes an age to fill & empty, and they invariably leak. You also need around 1.2l of chemistry to fill the tank. That said, if you get the hang of loading the holder (don't used the guides, they scratch the film) and use them as a dip & dunk line, they are great. But this only really makes sense if you have a significant number of films to process in one batch (or over the course of a few weeks).

For low volume - Say 4-6 sheets per week - A Paterson Orbital is much more economical and quicker to use. I typically mix 150-300ml of developer (one shot) per run of up to four sheets. Orbitals also fetch silly money on ebay

The low cost alternative to Combiplan or Paterson is a "slosher" - But these only work if your darkroom is really dark and you don't mind working with the lights out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my combiplan enough to own two of them; so I can develop twice as much; I stagger them about five minutes apart.

It takes a little more than 1L of chemistry, but I use pyrocatHD and it's cheap. A larger volume of liquid will maintain temperature better without a water bath. I load the holders without the guides, just feel the film into the slots, then run my fingers over the edge of the film to feel the spacing like on a mod54.. It is annoying slow to fill and drain, but that hasn't affected image quality at all. After the fixer has been in the tank for a minute, the top comes off and it's a daylight dip and dunk for the fixing and wash. Push the film retainer clip in gently and agitate gently and film won't fall out.

It's very functional for me, but there is room for improvement if someone were motivated to improve upon it. I'd make the film carrier/holder one-piece plastic to make it less wobbly, and have better drain/fill spigots. If you get one, use it several times before jumping to a conclusion. You can always sell it for what you paid for it if you buy reasonably carefully.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can still buy new Yankee tanks at B&H for $38.50. I can see the Combi selling for a higher price but the Yankee should be much cheaper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I know! But the trouble with buy in US is: 1º - the shipping costs. 2º - costums, since they stop every thing that it is not from inside the UE and one have to pay the fee to get the item , normally 25 euros, so one item bought, even if it is by one dollar, shiping price of 35 dollars (normal) we have to add 25 euros (30 dolars or more) to the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Yes, I know! But the trouble with buy in US is: 1º - the shipping costs. 2º - costums, since they stop every thing that it is not from inside the UE and one have to pay the fee to get the item , normally 25 euros, so one item bought, even if it is by one dollar, shiping price of 35 dollars (normal) we have to add 25 euros (30 dolars or more) to the price.
    The combi was made is Sweden if that makes any difference or is helpful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have both a Yankee and a Combiplan. The Yankee is incredibly wasteful of chemistry, and it doesn't just leak, it drools chemistry all over your hands because the lid doesn't seal. The Combiplan is more chemistry-efficient, but a pain in the ass to load, and it also leaks, just not nearly as much as the Yankee. The problem with the way the Combiplan leaks is that since it leaks from the drain valve, and the volumes of chemistry are already low, it could leak enough to give you insufficient coverage of your film for the entire development/fixing cycles. After both of these, I switched to a Jobo Expert drum and haven't looked back. I was lucky and got mine when you could still buy them used for $100-150 each.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is there any good method? I just loaded up 35 holders for this weekend and dread using the Yankee tank whence I return.
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin