Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,893   Online: 971

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm not sure how specifically a yeast stirrer differs from a lab stirrer in design, but aeration is definitely NOT what you want when mixing photochemistry.
    Also I wouldn't use the stirrer in my yeast after using it in my chemistry... Haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure about design either. The speed is variable though, so if you were getting it to mix chemicals, you would just use a lower speed. For a yeast starter, you essentially want to get it going as fast as you can without throwing the bar. They also use the exact same teflon coated stir bars. I think the idea behind them is more economical than anything specifically designed for making a yeast starter. Afterall, there are plenty of homebrewers out there using lab stir plates too.

Just thought this might be a good option as they are always available, and you don't have to hunt one down on Evilbay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also I wouldn't use the stirrer in my yeast after using it in my chemistry... Haha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    haha, yea, I'd make sure to use separate stir bars and beakers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a Hanna HI 190M from American Science & Surplus in Chicago. It is certainly a hobby version but for about $40 it does the job. I did find, however, that a 1.5" stir bar works more efficiently than the 1" bar that comes with the unit.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Have a nice, bought new, Corning hotplate stirrer. Best darkroom kit I ever bought.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bought a 9 x 9 inch, three torque setting, variable speed magnetic from the evil auction place. Seller was a reconditioned lab equipment house. Very pleased. Made sure I bought a serious sized magnetic cross shape stir bar. If you go industrial size make sure you check the speed setting before doing th Off to ON transition. Mine can spin up water right up the sides. Over kill but works wonderfully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I'm not sure how specifically a yeast stirrer differs from a lab stirrer in design, but aeration is definitely NOT what you want when mixing photochemistry.
    They appear similar in design, but from what I know about working with yeast, you're probably stirring for far longer than the 5min necessary to have your chemicals ready.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just pulled the trigger on a Corning PC 320 and some stir bars. I think that this will work well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice unit. Good luck with it.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A stirrer is a nice thing to have. I'm sure tempted to get a higher-capacity one; mine's only good to 1L.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin