Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,458   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Magnetic Stirrers, anyone using one?

I am considering getting a magnetic stirrer for mixing dark room chemicals. I have checked them out on Evilbay and there are two kinds. One justs stirs and the other heats and stirs. Obviously the one that also heats would be great if you start with room temp distilled water, but I have a microwave oven heater for that.

I guess what I would like is your experience and the model that you use or recommend. I think that a 2lt capacity would be OK, but if it could handle a bucket that would allow a 1gal - 5ltr mix would be great too.

Thanks for any help you can give me in my decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After having a problem with the time taken to mix the 5ltr packs I invested in a cheap non-heated magnetic stirrer from the auction site that could handle 5 litres. It's made life much easier! It would be nice to have a heated one but the stirrer's quite efficient so the solution doesn't lose too much heat while it's stirring. Definitely worth it to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who is the manufacturer of your 5ltr mixer and what is the model number?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have been using one for almost 30 years.

The chemistry teacher at a high school I taught for many years ago use to mix my chemistry for class and then when I moved I got one for myself, and that was in 1984
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a magnetic stirrer, no heater with it though.
    I find it most useful for mixing hard to dissolve items like the potassium carbonate in Pyrocat HD.

Shooter
    35mm
    They are hard to do without. The heater would be a nice touch, but I get along with a plain one. Don't forget to get some Teflon magnets.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd sure promote it for you. I use a heated version and wouldn't be without the heater, personally. Resist the urge to over-speed the magnet as it will cavitate air into the mixture. Just keeping things in motion is sufficient. With heavier loaded powder like Na2SO4, it could require a little manipulating of your mix container around the spin point of the magnet to get the corner material moving but a bit of patience helps (and it sure beats hand mixing!).
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have used the same one for 40 years. I find it indispensable. Beats elbow grease.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a hot plate with a magnetic stirrer. Works great for C-41 chemicals, even up to 5L, though the beaker takes forever to heat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use this Corning PC-420D hotplate/stirrer kit* and would never go back to manual mixing. In fact, after having carefully watched liquids of differing densities being mixed in a beaker by this unit, I quickly came to realize just how poorly I had been doing it by hand. It takes more effort and quite a bit longer than one might think.

I also found it to be much more efficient to purchase and use an inexpensive kitchen hot plate and water bath to initially raise the temperature of bulk liquids to at or near the desired temperature, then transfer over to the Corning unit for temperature maintenance and stirring. It's a two-step process, but greatly speeds things up.

Ken

* I got it new, but didn't pay anywhere near that MSRP price!
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin