Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,980   Online: 794

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for your answers!

It seems as if I might have underestimated the sheer bulk and weight of a 4x5 enlarger, I'm not certain that my poor cart could support 45kgs of enlarger, neither would the wall I think. I may have to reconsider this endeavour... Are there other, more lightweight 4x5 enlargers, or are they all this size?

I feel that I should also clarify, the reason I'm using the bathroom as my darkroom isn't really because I need running water, but because it's the only other "room" in my flat (I live in a studio flat). I also don't tend to cart around the enlarger too much (I realize this isn't optimal for the lifespan of my enlarger, but I do take care to protect it from moisture), as the thing is fairly heavy.

Are there floor-stands for enlargers? That seems like it could be the most realistic option right now.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi There,

You need to consider your available space and the fact that professional 5 x 4 enlargers are beasts - doesn't matter if it is a Durst, De Vere or Beseler.

There are floor standing versions of all of these enlargers but they are even bigger and heavier.

Taking the baseboard off a baseboard version allows you pretty easily to mount on a wall BUT only if it is a solid wall - a simple frame and plaster board internal wall will not be strong enough.

Well that's the bad news about 5 x 4" enlargers of a professional nature. However, there is a good solution to your situation - it might need a bit of hunting around and asking on various forums such as APUG, FADU, etc. The british firm Lines & Jones made an enlarger right up to the 90s. With the advent of digital and the availability of De Vere enalrgers in the UK at low prices they stopped making them and moved into kitchen extraction.

The Lines & Jones enlarger was relatively light and used a cold-light light-source that weighed very little. For the first five years that I did traditional landscape photography using an 5 x 4" MPP camera I had to set up my darkroom every time I wanted to print. This was very easy with the Lines & Jones as I could easily carry it (try doing that with a De Vere 504 every time you want to use it) into the bathroom. In my next flat, I made a black-out system for my kitchen, took the baseboard off, mounted onto a wall and fitted a bottomless kitchen unit around it to hide it away when not in use and also protect it. This worked a treat and was on a fairy thin internal wall.

The later models of the Lines & Jones were the best as my father worked with them to improve the carriers and cut down light leaks (easy enough to deal with when using a bit of fablon). Despite being a great solution to having an affordable and relatively light 5 x 4" enlarger people generally looked down on the Lines & Jones as being 'amateur' and this became more pronounced once digital led to a flood of professional enlargers onto the market.

Being 'out of fashion' they go very cheap. A friend of mine who still lives in the UK bought one through his local newspaper for £35. The cold-light still worked but for smaller negative sizes he found it too slow and got a relative to build him an LED light-source. As you already have an enlarger for smaller negatives, this should not be a problem.

If you can find one, the Lines & Jones would be the perfect solution for you.

Best of luck,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    It seems as if I might have underestimated the sheer bulk and weight of a 4x5 enlarger, I'm not certain that my poor cart could support 45kgs of enlarger, neither would the wall I think. I may have to reconsider this endeavour... Are there other, more lightweight 4x5 enlargers, or are they all this size?

Are there floor-stands for enlargers? That seems like it could be the most realistic option right now.
    The Durst L1000 is a little smaller and lighter, but not particularly common - Spares also seem to be excessively expensive.

The LPL 7451 weighs in at around 26Kg, and the baseboard measures 600x600mm, so that might be an option for you. Again, not very common from the usual sources (ebay).

Floor standing enlargers do appear from time to time (seen four or five Devere 504 in the UK over the last month), but they are even bigger and heavier than the bench mounted versions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    VCP (Vermont Center for Photography) has 4 4x5 enlargers set up, a Durst 1200, an LPL, an Omega, and a Beseler.
    The Durst dwarfs the other three. Of those, I would say it is the least suitable for a mobile platform.

But, you have what you have, and it is a great unit. The problem is that it's physically very large, and very heavy, and much of the weight is very high. It would easily topple any usual sort of kitchen or utility cart, and the overall height would probably be too high for most doorways.

I would put it on a furniture moving platform, the kind that is basically a sheet of thick plywood with 4 sturdy wheels mounted and 10 or 20 cm high, then use your Ikea cart or something similar over (probably something lower) it to hold the easel. To make very large prints just put the easel on the base board and work from the floor. (sometimes we must suffer for our art )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've looked at the specs of the LPL enlarger, and it seems very nice, and ideal for my situation. they even sell a new one (LPL 7452L) with a larger baseboard, but it was horrifyingly expensive (roughly $5250). Any idea, of where I might find a second-hand one, as you said, eBay didn't turn up anything, should I subscribe and put in an ad in the classifieds section here at APUG maybe?

It might also be worth knowing what I ought to expect to pay for one.
    Last edited by Cybertrash; 07-15-2013 at 07:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I've looked at the specs of the LPL enlarger, and it seems very nice, and ideal for my situation. they even sell a new one (LPL 7452L) with a larger baseboard, but it was horrifyingly expensive (roughly $5250). Any idea, of where I might find a second-hand one, as you said, eBay didn't turn up anything, should I subscribe and put in an ad in the classifieds section here at APUG maybe?

It might also be worth knowing what I ought to expect to pay for one.
    The older LPL 7450 enlarger is even smaller and lighter. I believe it uses the smaller column size and smaller baseboard of the medium format sized enlarger. I haven't seen many for sale in the US, and would expect to pay $200-400 for it. Not sure what the availability and prices are in Europe.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    The older LPL 7450 enlarger is even smaller and lighter. I believe it uses the smaller column size and smaller baseboard of the medium format sized enlarger. I haven't seen many for sale in the US, and would expect to pay $200-400 for it. Not sure what the availability and prices are in Europe.

Jon
    According to this site the 7450 and the 7451 has the same baseplate and weigh the same (there were however other transformator options for the 7450).

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    According to this site the 7450 and the 7451 has the same baseplate and weigh the same (there were however other transformator options for the 7450).
    Yes, baseboard is the same. Weight difference would depend on the transformer used. 7450 with lighter transformer 20kg vs 7451 weight of 26kg.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 07-15-2013 at 03:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've looked at the specs of the LPL enlarger, and it seems very nice, and ideal for my situation. they even sell a new one (LPL 7452L) with a larger baseboard, but it was horrifyingly expensive (roughly $5250). Any idea, of where I might find a second-hand one, as you said, eBay didn't turn up anything.
    There is a 7451 on ebay.co.uk at the moment - Downside it is collect only from Northampton, England

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    There is a 7451 on ebay.co.uk at the moment - Downside it is collect only from Northampton, England
    That's a bit too far away from Stockholm I'm afraid

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin