Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,494   Online: 1011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One good thing about making your own LED safelight arrays is that you can make them to size and cheaply. I have a couple of secondary LED safelights on the wall behind me, one to my left, one to my right, pointing towards the enlarger where my bits and pieces are to be found (scissors, magnifier, dodging tools, pencil, etc). They are only a couple of inches higher than the paper easel so the light barely illuminates the paper because it comes from only a couple of degrees above, i.e. almost horizontal. There are two because as I move around at least one will illuminate my bits and pieces. These are very red (660 i think).

Also I have a home-made hand held orange LED torch, not as safe, but very good for a quick check of paper development. After the 660nm red, the orange is a revelation.

I previously made orange LED safelights which turned out to be not safe and the Rubylith (1 sheet) certainly tamed them.

In the old days of graded paper life was simpler and well illuminated with the Kodak yellow-green safelight.
    Last edited by john_s; 08-13-2014 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Anyone tried night-vision goggles with RA4 papers yet? I'm finding it a bit of an ordeal fitting big forty inch rolls of the polyester stuff onto my
    cutting machine mounts in total darkness, due to my aging fingers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Several folks here mentioned a CD prism trick, can you explain me - or point me to a link - how this is made? Thanks a lot!

Rolf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't have to make anything, just take an ordinary CD into the darkroom with the regular lights off and the safelight on and see what colour the diffraction patterns look like on the surface of the CD in the light from the safelight. You shouldn't see anything but the colour of your safelight. If you see noticeable greens or blues, your safelight isn't.

not an infallible test, but a quick 'n' dirty and reasonably accurate to see if there's a gross problem.

to be sure, you need to to a "proper" test with paper - a search will soon turn some up. Ilford and Kodak both have documents on safelight testing

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah ok, just looking at the CD itself, that was the point. I thought the prism had to be reflected to some sheet of paper or something like that.

And "make" was a language problem, I meant how it is "done".

Rolf

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have not used an LED safelight, but for the last 6 years, I have been using a CFL red party bulb and it is quite bright and it will not fog any of the Ilford paper that I use. I am still using the first bulb I bought and have never had an issue. The particular bulb I am using is made by FEIT.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The safelight test I use is presented in WayBeforeMonochrome, 2nd Ed. It's quite thorough, e.g., will identify any problems with enlarger light leaks as well as time in the developer with overhead safelight.
    Last edited by silveror0; 08-16-2014 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pardon. That should have been WayBeyondMonochrome. Sorry about that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Pardon. That should have been WayBeyondMonochrome. Sorry about that.
    Thanks for the correction! I thought I might have to buy another book.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin