Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,234   Online: 1025

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Ilford Multigrade VC head - VOLTAGE STABILIZER

I have an Ilfospeed Multigrade 500 Enlarger head made by Ilford. Page 16 of the manual states that "ILFORD Limited will be pleased to recommend a suitable voltage stabilizer upon request". Well, I called Ilford USA, and was informed that all Ilford B&W is now Harmon Technologies, and Harmon Technologies does not appear to allow for incoming inquiries. Does anyone know what I need for a voltage stabilizer? I contacted my local electronics guru, and it was his opinion that voltage stabilizers for enlargers need to be very carefully chosen. Thanks - dc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never needed a voltage stabilizer with mine, but my power is very stable. So if you also have stable power I doubt you actually need a voltage stabilizer.

I was also under the impression, possibly mistaken, that the controller had a small amount of voltage stabilization built in. So external stabilization was only needed for large fluctuations. I don't remember where I read this.

How much does your voltage fluctuate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Photo/Harman appears to have contact information links on their website here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contact.asp

If that doesn't work, try pm'ing Simon R Galley here on APUG. He will probably be able to put you in touch with the right people.

EDIT: And if you haven't already seen it, here is there page of links to equipment manuals: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=161
    Last edited by MattKing; 07-18-2013 at 12:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A quick search found it here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...-system-2.html. It actually looks like the built in voltage stabilization might not be for the lamps. Hard to say since I can't read the circuit diagram and see if it's built in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Different versions of the manual?
    The manual I have (Multigrade 500H Head) states this on page 17:
    Voltage compensation switch The voltage compensation switch ("VC") is located on the rear panel of the control unit and controls the automatic voltage stabilization circuitry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ic-racer : different controllers, the older 500c did not have the VC switch, the CPM controller does.

Sadly Harmon does not really support this equipment but the a kind enough to host some of the manuals on their web site.

Unless you very unreliable power I don't think I'd worry about it. A large (expensive) auto transformer would do the job but I doubt it is needed.

George

APUG Postcard Exchange --ROUND 31 COMMENTS--
    The Postcards Exchange Forum + FAQs + Introduction

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    ic-racer : different controllers, the older 500c did not have the VC switch, the CPM controller does.

Sadly Harmon does not really support this equipment but the a kind enough to host some of the manuals on their web site.

Unless you very unreliable power I don't think I'd worry about it. A large (expensive) auto transformer would do the job but I doubt it is needed.

I have several auto-transformers, they can adjust the voltage, I don't think they stabilize the voltage (providing a steady set voltage regardless of incoming variations. I doubt you will need to worry about this unless you have very short exposures. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not familiar with the Ilford but the Beseler and Omega have 82V bulbs and they don't last very long on 110V. Some of the Omega had one built in and sme had an extra module. I have both and also an autoformer that I inherited along the way that works great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ??

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot to include the term voltage stabilizer or reducer in my previous statement. That is what gets my 110V to the 82V for the bulb.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin